Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #21 
baylee767

Yep, he'll be active again! It's like people. When I lived in Alaska people weren't active at all, and I moved to Hawaii and everyone's active. Everything slows down, but if the Betta recieves heat he will speed back up! An example of a Betta like this... my sister kept a Betta in an unheated half gallon bowl for 6 months and he was a slug. I took him in and with heat we was super active.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #22 
wallywestisthebest333

If you plan on cycling you can get a filter but if you don't plan on cycling your tank then I wouldn't bother with it.

You only get to change the water less often AFTER you do a lot of partial water changes to fish-in cycle your tank.

You'll also want to have your own liquid test kit (API's Freshwater Master Test Kit) if you plan to cycle so that you can get readings and know where you are and when your tank is cycled.

I recommend 2 things:

1. Do the twice weekly water changes like OldFishLady (OFL) suggested. One 50% and one 100%.

2. Getting a bunch of stem plants (anacharis, water sprite, water wisteria, creeping jenny, hornwort, and any other stem plant you want), an outlet timer from a hardware store, and a better lighbulb for your lamp. (a Daylight lightbulb (rated at 6,500 K(kelvins)) with a low wattage)

After everything starts growing you can do fewer water changes.

You definitely want to get some kind of test kit though or get your water tested twice a week at the petstore to see if the plants have started sucking up the ammonia and nitrite in the tank.

You then want to keep testing the water once every 3 days to see if your ammonia levels have gotten too close to 2.5 (the dangerous level for fish). If they have then do a water change. If they haven't then let things sit.

Also do you know for sure that your container is 1 gallon? A lot of containers are advertised as 1 gallon or seem like they'd hold a gallon but actually hold less than that.

I'd check using a gallon jug of water from the super market. (but don't actually use that water continue to use your tap water.

Also until you get things set up and running do you know how to do a 100% water change and have you been doing them regularly?

^^^^^^ Note that my suggestions are my suggestions and opinions. There are lots of ways to keep fish.

Choose what you're most comfortable with. If you need plant help there's a ton of people here to help you.

If you need cycling help there's not only a sticky thread that tells you how to cycle your tank but tons more people on here that have done it and can walk you through it.

whatever you decide good luck to you and your betta! =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 02-06-2011 at 12:33 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #23 
VTAb182

I hadn't planned on cycling the tank. From what I read it sounds like more work than I'm looking to put in to it. Are your two recommendations for if I am cycling the tank or just in general for either way?

Will the plants you mentioned getting act kind of like filters in the sense that they take some of the unwanted chemicals out of the water (I know it's different than the function of the filter, but you get comparison).

Will the filter still help keep the water cleaner, even if the same amount of water changes are still necessary? Because I figured that if I'm getting a new tank anyways I'd go for one that has a light and filter. But if a filter isn't going to help me I could just get a plain square tank and put an external light on top. Although as someone said before having a hood on the tank makes the air good for him to breathe. As you can see I'm still going back and forth with myself on this one.

Well I measured by figuring that I use 2 pitcherfulls of water to fill up the bowl, and the pitcher holds 8 cups, so 2 pitchers=16cups=1gallon (yeah math! :])
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #24 
wallywestisthebest333

Nice so your tank is legit! =] I'd say yay math but me and math have never gotten along! :'D

My 2 suggestions were for a non-cycled tank. =]

The plants don't take chemicals out. They take the Ammonia and Nitrite out. =] It works pretty much the way a cycled filtered tank works. =] The plants eat the ammonia your fish makes and it helps them to grow. =] You'll still need your water conditioner. ;]

I wouldn't get the filter but it's up to you. =]

I like your idea of just the tank, the heater, and the light. That's what I'm doing in my 2.5 =] I'm actually transferring my boy Firedrake to the 2 gallon with the floaters because the plants are dying from lack of ammonia and I don't want to feed them with fish food anymore (as fish food will mold if it isn't eaten. >n<).

You'll want to get some clear plastic wrap to put over the top of the tank though and poke some holes in it. During winter the air above the water can be too cold and dry for bettas and can sometimes damage their labyrinth organ (lungs). The plastic wrap should help keep heat and moisture in and make the air above the water nice and humid. And if it's clear your light will still go through. ;]
Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #25 
VTAb182

Wait a minute. I think I had cycling misunderstood. Is it something you only have to do once (by once i mean the whole process) when you get a new tank, or is a continuous process that you have to keep on doing? I originally thought it was continuous, but now I'm thinking I was wrong. If it is a one time deal then it sounds like a good idea to me because it would mean somewhat less upkeep in the long run for putting the work in now.

EDIT: Another cycling question: wouldn't doing a 100% water change and cleaning/scrubbing the tank, gravel, and decorations remove all the beneficial bacteria that colonized during cycling?

Last edited by VTAb182; 02-06-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #26 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTAb182 View Post
Wait a minute. I think I had cycling misunderstood. Is it something you only have to do once (by once i mean the whole process) when you get a new tank, or is a continuous process that you have to keep on doing? I originally thought it was continuous, but now I'm thinking I was wrong. If it is a one time deal then it sounds like a good idea to me because it would mean somewhat less upkeep in the long run for putting the work in now.

EDIT: Another cycling question: wouldn't doing a 100% water change and cleaning/scrubbing the tank, gravel, and decorations remove all the beneficial bacteria that colonized during cycling?
Yep you only cycle once and you're correct about the 100% change in a cycled tank too. You NEVER do a 100% change in a cycled tank because you'll kill off and get rid of all the beneficial bacteria.

In my original reply I said I wouldn't recommend cycling.

But at the same time I also assume you haven't cycled yet. In uncycled tanks you need to do regular 100% water changes unless they're "plant cycled" aka plant growth replaces the need for beneficial bacteria.

For cycling questions first read this thread's original posts. =]

In all truth like Old Fish Lady said in her original reply it's actually not less upkeep. Even when your 2.5 gallon tank is cycled it will still require 2 water changes per (work) week.

Uncycled tank: 2 100% changes per week
Cycled tank: 2 50% changes per week if you have substrate in your tank you'll want to siphon your gravel to get the gunk out of it. You/ll also want to swish your filter media in the tank water before you do the water change on the second 50%.

Cycling smaller tanks can be worth it for some people Say a 3 gallon or a 4 gallon.

But I really don't see the point in cycling a 2.5 gallon.

Also if you're going to keep your 1 gallon there's no point in trying to cycle it because you'd still be doing water changes every other day (like you should be now) except they'd be 50% changes as opposed to 100% changes.

If you get a 5 gallon I'd cycle it but as it is it's pretty much the same amount of work. :/

It's up to you though. This is just my opinion! XD

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 02-06-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #27 
VTAb182

Hmmm that's a good point. I suppose live plants would make it look pretty nice anyways. If I get a tank that has a hood with a filter and light, would I be able to just take out the filter entirely so it's not in the way if I'm not going to be using it?

And how many/what kind of plants would you recommend getting to start with in a 2/2.5 gallon tank?

Thank you so much wallywestisthebest333 for all your help and input on this!!
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #28 
HayrideHaunter

MARIMOOOOOS!

theyre adorable. I'm dying to get one.
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #29 
VTAb182

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayrideHaunter View Post
MARIMOOOOOS!

theyre adorable. I'm dying to get one.
those do look cool! Would one ball be enough though? I'm thinking not
Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #30 
Marona

Bogwood is also an easy way to soak up chemicals. c:
Plus it looks epic. I love the frill+bogwood side of my tank. Frill is really full and...well frilly LOL. And the bogwood gives it an earthy look.

I also like my bacopa. If tall enough and in bunches, the betta can rest on them near the surface.

Also. As far as filters being too strong, I use one that uses my air pump to filter and it works great. Doesn't even bother my fish next to it. He's even blown a bubble nest over night. (:D First one!)
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote