Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #1 
Kethlas

Unhappy Possible Finrot?

So I moved, and everything seemed okay...I put them in cups in a padded box. Camelot adjusted very well, and enjoys watching the new cats run around the room. Avalon, on the other hand, seems....not so well. There's a dark, crinkly edging to his fins (which are normally cellophane), his gills are inflamed, eyes seem to be turning half-red, and he's very lethargic. I added a new heater to his tank, and he's high enough away that the cats can't even get on eye-level with him, but he seems...weak. He'll nibble at food, and ignore the rest, and just kind of hang on the bottom of his tank - not even near the heater! I'm so worried...I don't want to lose him.

Specs:

What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon...but it's only for a few more weeks, then he'll have at least 5 gallons to swim around in.
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? not yet
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? not yet
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, but he can see Camelot in the tank next to him

What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets every other day...he's tiny and gets constipated if he eats more than that

How often do you perform a water change? daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No testing kit on hand...
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? crinkly fins, inflamed gills, reddish eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, not eating much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago, after moving
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes...1/4 tsp of bettafix daily
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not really...Camelot was sick awhile ago, but he's doing better.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8ish months...most definitely less than a year.
Kethlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #2 
Kethlas

No change in three days :(
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 
Kethlas

Definitely finrot...one of his two tales is almost half gone, and the other isn't looking too good. The bettafix isn't working much, so I'll just have to hope he hangs on til Friday when I get paid and can run to the NLFS. :(
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 
kfish

I'd stop with Bettafix and start adding 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt (premix it in a 1 gallon jug). Some bettas are negatively impacted by Bettafix.

I believe fin rot can be caused by a bacterial infection... if he doesn't start to look better, you may want to medicate.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #5 
Kethlas

Unfortunately, I don't have aquarium salt with me...it was in the box that fell in the snow and well...no more aquarium salt. It ended up all milky-like... Anyway, that also has to wait til Friday. Right now, all I have are bettafix, melafix, maracyn-oxy, and tetracycline...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 
kfish

If you did medicate, either tetracycline or Maracyn-Oxy is what you'd want to use. It's up to you if you want to treat with medicine.

Last edited by kfish; 02-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote