Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
BettaMama11

Post at petsmart need advice!

Hey guys few quick questions! 1. What plant fertilizer brand is good? 2. The anubius plant I picked up is packaged in some gel putting it in just the gravel good or bad? 3. What water testing kit is good? Or are those auction cup meters good? On another note they have a sorority tank of bettas was surprised to see! And omg one of the bettas almost got sucked into the filter oh no! Poor thing! :(
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #2 
ParisRose

I never thought the suction cup meters worked. I tried them and they always showed some ammonia though the test kit showed otherwise. I think most people on here use the API test kit. Sorry I can't help with plants.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The Seachem brand plant ferts Flourish comprehensive is a good all around plant food
Anubias-needs to be tied to something like driftwood-you don't want to bury the rhizome in the substrate or it will rot and die...this species of plant is a slow grower and low feeder....if this is the only plant you may not need any plant food...fish waste may be enough....

API freshwater master test kit is a good all around kit that has all the test you need...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high and low pH

Don't waste your money on the suction cup test product....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #4 
BettaMama11

I see! Now is it best to get the big liqud pack kit one or a test strip?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I like the liquid. I feel like a mad chemist and it lasts a LONG time for the money.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 
BettaMama11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The Seachem brand plant ferts Flourish comprehensive is a good all around plant food
Anubias-needs to be tied to something like driftwood-you don't want to bury the rhizome in the substrate or it will rot and die...this species of plant is a slow grower and low feeder....if this is the only plant you may not need any plant food...fish waste may be enough....

API freshwater master test kit is a good all around kit that has all the test you need...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high and low pH

Don't waste your money on the suction cup test product....
Oh! Hmmm what could I use to tie it? I don't have any driftwood :( and they didn't have a small driftwood thing at the store...
Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

....I agree with vaygirl......In the long run the liquid reagent kit will last for much longer and give more accurate readings than the strips....

Edit...you can tie (cotton thread) it to anything in the aquarium...decorations, rock, cave...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #8 
BettaMama11

Thanks guys! I really wanna buy the kit its pricey tho but from what you guys have said it seems worth it! Ok I bought a cheap little bridge decoration now I'm buying the thread. Now just thought how do I stop my betta from getting sucked into the filter?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMama11 View Post
Thanks guys! I really wanna buy the kit its pricey tho but from what you guys have said it seems worth it! Ok I bought a cheap little bridge decoration now I'm buying the thread. Now just thought how do I stop my betta from getting sucked into the filter?
You can buy little sponge things called pre filters that slide over where the water gets sucked through. You can also use clean panty hose tied over it. Most filters shouldn't be strong enough to suck him in, but if it does then I would cover it. If you use panty hose/tights make sure than you thoroughly wash it and soak it to see if they leech dyes.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #10 
BettaMama11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
You can buy little sponge things called pre filters that slide over where the water gets sucked through. You can also use clean panty hose tied over it. Most filters shouldn't be strong enough to suck him in, but if it does then I would cover it. If you use panty hose/tights make sure than you thoroughly wash it and soak it to see if they leech dyes.
Cool, thanks!! I shall go and check and see what they have!! thanks! =)