Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
BettaMama11
New Member
 
BettaMama11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Post at petsmart need advice!

Hey guys few quick questions! 1. What plant fertilizer brand is good? 2. The anubius plant I picked up is packaged in some gel putting it in just the gravel good or bad? 3. What water testing kit is good? Or are those auction cup meters good? On another note they have a sorority tank of bettas was surprised to see! And omg one of the bettas almost got sucked into the filter oh no! Poor thing! :(
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #2 
ParisRose
New Member
 
ParisRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Omaha
I never thought the suction cup meters worked. I tried them and they always showed some ammonia though the test kit showed otherwise. I think most people on here use the API test kit. Sorry I can't help with plants.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
The Seachem brand plant ferts Flourish comprehensive is a good all around plant food
Anubias-needs to be tied to something like driftwood-you don't want to bury the rhizome in the substrate or it will rot and die...this species of plant is a slow grower and low feeder....if this is the only plant you may not need any plant food...fish waste may be enough....

API freshwater master test kit is a good all around kit that has all the test you need...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high and low pH

Don't waste your money on the suction cup test product....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #4 
BettaMama11
New Member
 
BettaMama11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
I see! Now is it best to get the big liqud pack kit one or a test strip?
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #5 
vaygirl
Member
 
vaygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middlesex County, NJ
I like the liquid. I feel like a mad chemist and it lasts a LONG time for the money.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 
BettaMama11
New Member
 
BettaMama11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The Seachem brand plant ferts Flourish comprehensive is a good all around plant food
Anubias-needs to be tied to something like driftwood-you don't want to bury the rhizome in the substrate or it will rot and die...this species of plant is a slow grower and low feeder....if this is the only plant you may not need any plant food...fish waste may be enough....

API freshwater master test kit is a good all around kit that has all the test you need...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high and low pH

Don't waste your money on the suction cup test product....
Oh! Hmmm what could I use to tie it? I don't have any driftwood :( and they didn't have a small driftwood thing at the store...
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
....I agree with vaygirl......In the long run the liquid reagent kit will last for much longer and give more accurate readings than the strips....

Edit...you can tie (cotton thread) it to anything in the aquarium...decorations, rock, cave...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #8 
BettaMama11
New Member
 
BettaMama11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Thanks guys! I really wanna buy the kit its pricey tho but from what you guys have said it seems worth it! Ok I bought a cheap little bridge decoration now I'm buying the thread. Now just thought how do I stop my betta from getting sucked into the filter?
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #9 
turtle10
Member
 
turtle10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMama11 View Post
Thanks guys! I really wanna buy the kit its pricey tho but from what you guys have said it seems worth it! Ok I bought a cheap little bridge decoration now I'm buying the thread. Now just thought how do I stop my betta from getting sucked into the filter?
You can buy little sponge things called pre filters that slide over where the water gets sucked through. You can also use clean panty hose tied over it. Most filters shouldn't be strong enough to suck him in, but if it does then I would cover it. If you use panty hose/tights make sure than you thoroughly wash it and soak it to see if they leech dyes.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #10 
BettaMama11
New Member
 
BettaMama11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
You can buy little sponge things called pre filters that slide over where the water gets sucked through. You can also use clean panty hose tied over it. Most filters shouldn't be strong enough to suck him in, but if it does then I would cover it. If you use panty hose/tights make sure than you thoroughly wash it and soak it to see if they leech dyes.
Cool, thanks!! I shall go and check and see what they have!! thanks! =)
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need advice before my Petsmart run! monroe0704 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 12-30-2010 04:24 PM
Went to Petsmart and... dramaqueen Betta Fish Care 14 07-26-2010 01:03 PM
I'm going to petsmart... 1fish2fish Betta Chat 11 06-01-2010 02:49 PM
What do ya know? Petsmart did something right ErinBBC Betta Fish Care 3 07-11-2008 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.