Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #1 
swoozie13579

Exclamation help!! sick fish!!

my fish it breathing really slowly then laying on his side at the top of the tank. then he'll act all fine and swim for a few seconds then go back to laying at the top of the tank. he has mabie a 0.5 gallon tank and no filter i clean his tank out 1 a week but have only cleaned it out once because i got him 1 1/2 weeks ago. i do 75% water changes.i feed him flakes and some times pellets. is there anything i can do to save him?
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie13579 View Post
my fish it breathing really slowly then laying on his side at the top of the tank. then he'll act all fine and swim for a few seconds then go back to laying at the top of the tank. he has mabie a 0.5 gallon tank and no filter i clean his tank out 1 a week but have only cleaned it out once because i got him 1 1/2 weeks ago. i do 75% water changes.i feed him flakes and some times pellets. is there anything i can do to save him?
sounds like water quality issues, .5 gallon is too small for him to thrive in, and i am assuming there is no heater, which means he is probably cold too.

you need to do water changes much more often than that with such a small tank, i would suggest doing a 100% water change right now and continue doing them every other day, maybe even everyday for awhile until he is acting better. the ammonia levels are probably very high which is why he is having trouble breathing. do you use a water conditioner? you will need this too.

watch him closely, since you don't have a heater put him in the warmest spot you can find for now, and i would reccomend ungrading to a larger, filtered, and heated tank as soon as you can.

any idea what the water temp is at right now?
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #3 
swoozie13579

i do use water conditioner, and im going to get a 1 gallon tank asap. i have no idea what the temp is. i will mabie get a 2 gallon........ and try to get a filter and heater. i think hes dead now but ill look and if hes not ill do a water change.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #4 
peachesxo

Quote:
i do use water conditioner, and im going to get a 1 gallon tank asap. i have no idea what the temp is. i will mabie get a 2 gallon........ and try to get a filter and heater. i think hes dead now but ill look and if hes not ill do a water change.
make sure the temperature of the water you are adding is the same as the water you've taken out!!!
and i hope that is not the case
Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 
swoozie13579

the last time i changed his water it was just a little warmer then before, and sorry to talk about his poop but he just pooped a big round thing. now it looks like something is pulling him up because he is darting down trying to get away from the top, then giving up and laying up at the top of the tank.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 
peachesxo

Quote:
the last time i changed his water it was just a little warmer then before, and sorry to talk about his poop but he just pooped a big round thing. now it looks like something is pulling him up because he is darting down trying to get away from the top, then giving up and laying up at the top of the tank.
he could have swim bladder, how much do you feed him and of what how often?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #7 
swoozie13579

hes breathing big slow breaths now.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #8 
swoozie13579

i feed him flakes and sometimes pellets mabie a pinch or 2.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #9 
turtle10

A pinch is a lot of food. Stop feeding him for a few days and do a 100% daily water change ASAP.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 
swoozie13579

ok so i did a 100% water change and hes acting the same..... i took out the rocks in the bottom of the tank because they looked strange.