Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #11 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
- no comment -
Then why did you post? Lol.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #12 
Abby

this is what you people rant about. You all go into walmart and ill kept pet stores complain about the way bettas are kept but then a tank like this is posted and everyone loves it. as long as theres no betta there people think its a fine way to keep something but i think all animals deserve CLEAN water. if you cant see your *Aquatic* animal through filthy water you need to do something about it.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #13 
HayrideHaunter

yeah thats kinda where I was going? again i know nothing about shrimp...and i know there are brackish fish that prefer more pondlike water and such...but arent shrimp more clean water animals?
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #14 
Alex09

I dont see the big deal. The water isnt mud brown, its green. Algae isnt a bad thing, just like plants, they add oxygen to the water and absorb ammonia and other harmful substances. Environments in nature aren't sterile. Besides, shrimp are rather delicate when it comes to water params. If this setup was truly "filthy" and unsuitable, they would be dead - think about that. Just because the water is green does not mean it's filthy. Im perfectly sure that plants and algae can keep up with the relatively low bio-load of shrimp.

Last edited by Alex09; 02-06-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #15 
HayrideHaunter

^see i never knew that...i always thought algae was bad bad bad...learned something new o.o
Old 02-06-2011, 01:35 AM   #16 
Crazykat

Ahem...
http://www.otocinclus.com/articles/greenwater.html

Alex09 is right. Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters and there would not be so many thriving shrimp in here if this was an issue. This is more of an aesthetic issue.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #17 
Jupiter

Well, I just don't want to jump the gun and assume it's dirty water. Especially since I don't see any filth like I would in a dirty petstore cup. Everything in the tank seems fine too, so I'm assuming the water quality is okay.

Could be BWE. Could be that the sand made the water murky. Could be some other reason. We don't know since the OP hasn't actually told us, so I'm just going to wait on that before I complain about dirty tanks.

Not to mention OP is quite good at taking care of his/her fish so I highly doubt s/he'd leave a tank dirty, or even show it to us if it were.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #18 
Abby

well excuse me but from MY experience my shrimp preferred CLEANER water.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #19 
HayrideHaunter

hey Abby? I know youre frustrated, but try to understand what everyone is saying. Yes, they generally complain about dirty water...but i think you and i both jumped to conclusions a little. I say let the OP tell us whats up...
Old 02-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #20 
Crazykat

It's really not fair to start picking before you get the OP's side of the story. To me, it looks like algae which is not something to flip out over. It looks like a gorgeous planted tank with lots of nooks and crannys that shrimp love. .
If you want some help with the algae, you might get some fast growing plants like hornwort or java fern. They'll outcompete the algae. I have some hornwort in my tank and my ghost shrimp think it's pretty much the most awesome thing ever.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote