Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #1 
peachesxo

Does my feeding amount sound right?

Ok, so I'm totally paranoid about everything to do with Sumo.
So tonights big paranoia is about how much I've been feeding him since so many people feed so many different amounts then the next and everything.
SO, tell me, does the amount of food im feeding him sound like too much // too little // just right, let me know

I usually feed him pellets (hikari ones) and it will be 2 in the morning, 2 at night. so 4 total a day.

Sometimes i will substitute one pellet (or both in one feeding) for some betta flakes (first ingrediants are meat and he seems to like them, just started trying these though, wasnt too into the flake idea before)

And then maybe twice a week I will substitute a pellet for some frozen bloodworms, or give him a few as a treat after.

I am trying to start fasting him one day a week but it's so hard not to feed him lol, yesterday was technically his fasting day but around 7 pm at night i gave in and gave him some flakes.

But yes, thoughts?

How much do you feed yours?
EEEp.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #2 
Pekemom

These are great questions b/c I think we all feed differently. I give my betta Brooke a few micro pellets (the regular pellets were not being eaten at all) and a bit of flake in the morning. At night I give her a small bit of brine shrimp that I crumble up first. She's small - I don't fast her at all. I have dried bloodworms but she doesn't seem to like them.
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Your feeding sounds good to me :)

I feed a little more and in a different way. I feed my fish so that once they've eaten they have nice round bellies. Not bloated but full. I feed high quality pellets that are small so they might get as many as 5 in one meal.

When I feed frozen blood worms I do so as an entire meal. I give each fish about 4 blood worms which they seem to be able to eat easily. My fish are all decent sized though.

I do not feed flakes or freeze dried foods because I feel that they can get better and more nutrition from high quality pellets and frozen foods. I also feed my fish live white worms that I culture myself. The fish absolutely love them. I give each fish about 3 of them each when I feed live.

I don't feed my fish every day and most days they only get one meal a day. So out of the week they maybe get fed 4 or 5 days... depending on how busy I am of course.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #4 
nikkilee

I officially feel like a loser, lol! All of this is TOTALLY new to me! But the flakes and pellets that I am feeding to mine are obviously inferior (even though they seem to like it lol)....WOW! Live and learn :o)
nikkilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5 
Pekemom

I'm sending my fish Brooke over to 1fish2fish's house!! Sound so healthy & caring! Think I'll look into some of those suggestions - with the exception of culturing the live white worms!!=((
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just bought some Omega one betta buffet pellets and NLS betta formula. I don't like flakes because they're messy and I think they caused one of my fish to have SBD.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote