Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #11 
Hadouken441

I agree with dividing. I would never do it.

You could keep females and males together, but it would end up costing more money than anything. You would need a bigger tank. Not gallon wise but swimming room. Like a 4 foot long tank haha. And lots and lots of plants/tunnels/decor. The girls would stay together and you can prob have 1 male and he would stick to himself. Someone on another forum was saying how he accomplished this but it seemed to stress out the owner more than the fish
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #12 
Grimmjow

I just tried this the other day, dont worry it was very temporary and I had an eye on them the whole time. I added a female to my 75 gallon that had a male in it already, she did not leave him alone. He tried to ignore her and go about his business but any time she saw him she would be stuck to him like glue.

Could be just that hes really calm and shes really bossy, shes the same one I had with another female just overnight before and she picked on her.
Grimmjow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #13 
leluandswimmy

Okay, so here's an update: I can't do the dividing of tanks...I live in the middle of nowhere and went to two places where they sell fish equipment; long story short, they sell 10 gallon tanks, but no dividers. I am NOT crafty enough to construct something. So I bought a new tank yesterday because one of them were cracked. It's a 1.5 gallon tank. I put the 2 girls in that tank, and put the male in the other 1.5 gallon tank. I have a new question now...there water was getting to cold for them(dropping below 70) so I went out and bought water heaters. I took about 15 mins to heat their water up(hope that was long enough), but I'm worried because the water heater is meant for a 2-5 gallon tank. They don't sell heaters for smaller tanks than 2gallons. I know the water should be somewhere between 75-80 degrees. Do you think the water will get too warm for them? What's too hot? Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I am definately going to keep a close eye on my girls, but I just don't want to buy more, because I cant find a tank to accomidate more. And they haven't shown any aggresive behaviors towards each other. Thanks!
leluandswimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #14 
tsoto80

Is it the preset type of heater? If so I wouldnt worry to much bout the temp getting to low. The other type you have to fool around with untill you get it at the desired setting which is where a thermometer comes in handy. The kind that sticks/floats in the tank is the best. Has a suction cup so you could move it around or whatever
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #15 
Crazykat

Make sure you've got thermometers in there too. The heaters might say they're at the correct heat, but it's good to check yourself because sometimes they are not hot enough or too hot. Also, make sure you have water of about the same temperature when you do water changes.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #16 
leluandswimmy

I need info fast. HELP! Just got a new Female and she's not happy!

Okay, I made a long trip to a Petsmart(ugh, I know), and bought a 5 gallon tank. Put my original two females in the tank and went to add the new female and she's going postal. She keeps flaring up around the other two girls. The other two, could care less and they aren't threatend by each other, it's just this new fish freaking out. She's a round tail. I'm almost 100% sure she's a different type from the other two and she's younger. Is this the problem? Is the tank too small? Should I put her back into the tank with the two girls and let her get used to them.
Also I have ALOT of coverage in the tank. I just don't know what else to do...
I just feel like every time I try to fix the situation...all I do is end up spending more money and can't find a solution.
leluandswimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #17 
Crazykat

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble leluandswimmy. Sometimes with fish it seems like it's one thing after another and if you're not careful you can start bleeding money. I hate to say this, but the only sororities I've heard of are in ten gallons or larger. The more space you have, the less aggressive the fish are. If you want to get a cheap ten gallon, I believe there is a ten gallon kritter keeper for about $10 at Petco/smart. Just repeating, make sure you've got lots of hiding places for your girls so if they need to run for cover they can. It usually takes a week or so for girls to get used to each other and establish a pecking order, or so I've heard.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #18 
shinybetta

I wouldn't do a sorority They usually don't work out unless the females are born together, and even then..... Dividers are easy to make out of plastic canvas and duct tape. Good luck =)
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote