Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #1 
c4talys7

Question How likely is columnaris?

I was reading up on columnaris and noticed it said that it most likely happens with poor water quality. I was wondering what the chances are getting it if you do daily water changes? One of my Bettas look like he has the starting of some on his side, but could it also be that something just got stuck to him in the water when I scooped him out (in a cup, not net) to do water changes? There was some small feathery looking things on the surface of the water. He has been acting fine but I want to know if I should start worrying. I would post a picture if I could but I can hardly see it so I don't think the camera would.

My Betta just got done with a salt treatment to get rid of a mild case of Ick. The water is at about 74*F right now because I am not able to afford a heater currently. I am having one sent to me from a Betta that passed away back home that I had to leave there so he will be the first to get it when it arrives. He is in a 1 gal bin that is changed everyday. I am also currently cycling a 14gal and it is about halfway done.

Should I start him on the AQ salt again? I guess I should wait till tomorrow and see if it has spread or not. I'm just wondering the chances of him getting it if his water is changed everyday and treated. He is also active and eats well, his fins are not clammed.

c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #2 
kfish

Columnaris flourishes in high temperatures in dirty water, so I doubt that's your problem. He could be losing a bit of slime coat from the salt treatment for Ich. I wouldn't start treating him again unless you're certain.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #3 
c4talys7

Yeah, it's gone now. He's was off that salt for about 4 or 5 days but I had to start it on him again because he was biting his tail and shredding it. So he'll be on a mild salt treatment for about 5 days to he doesn't get an infection. It's only about 1/2teaspoon a gallon.
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote