Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #11 
1fish2fish

They should be fine but I would also suggest adding some other food when they get about 2-4 weeks old. My personal preference in foods is vinegar eels and microworms until 2 weeks old, microworms and frozen BBS until 4 weeks, then frozen bbs from 4 weeks until they are big enough for frozen daphnia (anywhere from 6+ weeks IME), after that I begin incorporating NLS growth formula pellets.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #12 
turtle10

Do you have a heater?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #13 
MrVampire181

Only for a week or so. You will need baby brine shrimp and later small frozen food.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #14 
Iman

Thanks for the answers, and concerning my male bettas fins I put in some Marofix
Iman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #15 
turtle10

Do you have a heater?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #16 
jschristian44

hey, your not alone in this situation. i have a pair that is doing the exact same thing. remove her, isolate her from the male for good. feed her live bloodworms or live food for about 2 weeks then try it again. also, the first thing that popped up in my head is this:

male:
just over an inch in body length

female:
about an inch and a half in body length

generally the male should be the bigger one. if you have a large female with a small male, he might not be able to be big enough to wrap around her, etc. and like everyone probably already said, let her rest for at least 2 weeks and try again. waiting is hard, believe me. i found out the hard way. my fish actually had vertical stripes, but when i placed her in with the male, all she did was run and hide, because he was too aggressive. then she lost her vertical stripes and they turned to horizontal. so, just take her out and keep them seperate. condition both of them. but usually, the female would have to be smaller than the male, i can't believe no one else saw this...

a heater will make them more ready though. its not necessarily an essential if you have a warm enough house, but betta fish reside from thailand, and it is a very hot climate there.

just trust me, and all the other people here. maybe not everyone, but people like turtle, oldfishlady, 1fish2fish. they are the guys you definately want to listen to every word they say. i went against their words like a fool and it just bit me in the butt. dont make my mistakes! please!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-06-2011 at 10:51 PM.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
hey, your not alone in this situation. i have a pair that is doing the exact same thing. remove her, isolate her from the male for good. feed her live bloodworms or live food for about 2 weeks then try it again. also, the first thing that popped up in my head is this:

male:
just over an inch in body length

female:
about an inch and a half in body length

generally the male should be the bigger one. if you have a large female with a small male, he might not be able to be big enough to wrap around her, etc. and like everyone probably already said, let her rest for at least 2 weeks and try again. waiting is hard, believe me. i found out the hard way. my fish actually had vertical stripes, but when i placed her in with the male, all she did was run and hide, because he was too aggressive. then she lost her vertical stripes and they turned to horizontal. so, just take her out and keep them seperate. condition both of them. but usually, the female would have to be smaller than the male, i can't believe no one else saw this...
Quote:
a heater will make them more ready though. its not necessarily an essential if you have a warm enough house, but betta fish reside from thailand, and it is a very hot climate there.
I don't think you are in the position to be handing out information.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #18 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I don't think you are in the position to be handing out information.
at least you can see that he IS taking in the information that has been given to him
Good job justin !
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #19 
jschristian44

well am i wrong to say that the male should be a little larger? i know a heater is strongly recommended, but my betta did fine in temps like 70 degrees.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #20 
bettafish15

Quote:
well am i wrong to say that the male should be a little larger? i know a heater is strongly recommended, but my betta did fine in temps like 70 degrees.
A betta always appears "fine" to most people in that temperature, but are they active? swimming around? being curious? No. Anything below 76 is too cold for a betta, no matter what. Please dont spread false info to someone who is just as new as you are to betta breeding. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote