Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #1 
Thunderloon

Best small tank I've found, 2gal hex

I keep a ten with one male betta and an assortment of small tetras (neon, cardinal, glow light, black neon, "18k" albino black, albino neon, and now green fire tetras) I consider each tetra a half inch of fish and have a baffled Emperor 280 on the end of the tank, so whichever male goes in has lots of company to watch and an already well established tank.

In order to acclimate new males to the living arrangements I like to "guess" when the current king-of-the-tank will go and get another male to put near the ten so they can learn how to behave. It works great, betta are very visual. Downside is I've never had a reliable good tank before. Always had to add cooling or heating, modify filters or add biological filtration but not anymore.

http://www.petco.com/product/113933/...t=FishFC_Tanks

Found this little gem. It is a two gallon hexagon tank, it comes with base, tank, lid, power filter, power filter cartridge, moon/off/day light, removeable light shield, lid and power supply.

For me the most important aspect is the Power 5 filter. An odd filter in that it uses an enclosed double-sided cartridge with carbon inside that receives the water in from the bottom. There is no bypass at all so the filter can actually be placed LOW in the tank to slow the water circulation, we're talking almost onto the rocks at the bottom. The filter intakes water from the front AND the bottom so your little one doesn't have to worry much about becoming a pre-filter. It moves enough to circulate the tank even placed all the way down without rocks. The replacement cartridges are only available at petco but I don't see them running out of supply. A nice side effect of submerged power filter in this tank is it heats the tank! I've got it setting on a desk in air conditioned airflow and the tank is staying 78 to 80 degrees all day.

The tank body is a standard acrylic with a half inch tall quarter inch deep offset in the bottom to fit the stand ring. It tapers very gently wider going up, probably only to introduce triangular cross section for structure.

The base has four notches in it even though the whole thing is powered by one supply line, this lets you route the power line AND your optional hydor mini (won't need it, see filter) line under the tank and back out to stabilize the cords or if you put it over a access hole in a desk it'd let mouse, keyboard, tank power and speaker wire come up through!

The lid has a lipped socket for the light, a small feeding door and a notch to one side on the back for the filter's hanging bracket and any wires or hoses you want going into the tank. The gap is small, can't even fit an eye dropper through it. It forces you to place the filter against one of the angles of the tank making the water flow circulate around as well as pillow over and over.

The light is a disk with the removeable "lens" screwed onto it that covers the bottom and sides so you can remove it and clean it with vineagar without risking the electronics. The light can be lifted out for reaching small hands, net, dropper, grabbers and whatnot into the tank. It has a BLUE "moon" setting that's actually kinda bright and the daylight setting uses lots of small bulbs and is bright enough for most aquarium plants.

The power supply has a six foot-ish cord and splits at the end for the light and filter connections. It looks like they used a camera style connector on the light just for convenience as the supply is standard 12v two wire. Just about any electronics repair place could put an adapter into the line so replacement 12v supplies can be used.

Lots of tidbits and details, yes.

Fluffy is a walmart crowntail, he's got a white head and goes from two-tone blue out through red and purple. With the filter hung just a half inch below the surface AND an air stone beside it, the circulation in the tank doesn't even phase him. He's constantly moving around joyfully looking at the tetra tank, my sorority betta ten gallon tank and my wife and my faces. I've never had a fish so happy in a small aquarium. He's been in it three days and is still learning his name but hasn't run out of joy yet.

In un-planted tanks it is advisable to use as little gravel as you can, this one's bottom offset is a great guide line for it..

The only bad thing I've found with the tank is that moisture can condense on the little feeding lid and run out onto the top of the tank lid, so give the feeder door a tap or two when you open it.

This tank is a petco product and sold in-store for about $26 to $32 and unless it catches fire or explodes I'm gonna have to give it three thumbs up
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

WOW. That's AWESOME! <3 If I didn't already have a spiffy jar I'd totally hit this up! <3

So it's legit 2 gallons right? =] like not 1.5 or 1.7 but actually 2 with an inch space at the top for air?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #3 
VTAb182

Sounds awesome! Can this tank be used without the filter in it?
VTAb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

yup, 2 gallons

it fits snug inside my 2.5gal rubbermaid bucket

I'd not use it without the filter or a filter of some sort the filter isn't as big as a juice bottle tho the tank does fit the dimensions necessary for filter-less operation planted tanks

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-06-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

NICE! <3 Sounds like a great tank then! =] I REALLY appreciate the good lighting. I'm not totally sure if it's the right Kelvins or not as I don't have it myself but if I suddenly got a lot more cash then I'd totally splurge on it to find out! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Nice looking little tank. Ordered it & a 3 pack of replacement filter cartridges for a grand total of $41.57 in the door - YIKES!!!

I don't normally spend that kind of money on a small tank, BUT I have just been dying to try one of the new LED lighted jobs. :) I have the perfect boy to go in there, too - he certainly does not seem to enjoy his nice planted, filtered 5 gal. tank!!! :(
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 
BettaLover659

Can u put a heater in there or do you not need one
BettaLover659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #8 
bloo97

Nice little thing!

Edit: That sounded really wierd...lol.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #9 
Marona

Is that a whisper filter? D:
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #10 
Lion Mom

I don't see why you COULDN'T put a heater in - I will be! :)

No, not a Whisper - don't know the brand name, but I know it's not a Whisper.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote