Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #31 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayers View Post
can you keep the fish in on 75% or do you pull him out?
Nope, I keep him in.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #32 
Thunderloon

The noise may well be a piece of debris on the impeller shaft, if you didn't open the filter up definitely call to get a replacement. Try back-washing the housing and motor with full flow in the sink while gently shaking it.

Brightens my day to see everybody happy with this one, my local petco has been struggling to keep them in the store as well. It turns out that they have a "180" desktop tank that also uses the same filter but I think its only 1.5g and I've not seen the lights.

My oldest female, Carnation, passed on me this morning. She'd been enjoying an oriental gate ornament's height and shade the last few days so I knew it was coming. Cambodian Ivory with lilac burgundy stripes on brick background, felt "pink, light red" was a great name. No fights from her leaving, she wasn't in the pecking order.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #33 
Thunderloon

Just occurred to me it might be a carbon flake from the filter cartridge!

The cartridge on these has slots on the bottom end and I suppose a small flake could have fallen into the impeller, this intrigues me. Gonna go get a second one to see how the filter is built.

I suppose I need to find the "meet me" part of the forums soon...
Old 02-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #34 
LolaQuigs

Hmm that's something I didn't even think about. I'll open it up tonight when I get home, take a look at it and rinse it out. Thanks for the suggestions; I really don't want to have to take everything out of it and exchange it if I can avoid it.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #35 
iheartmybettas

Just thought I would throw this out there...

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...-5-gal/701002/

I just got a bunch of these 5 gallon tanks from fish.com for $15 each. They are on clearance. They are blue rather than black but come with an awesome filter that allows you to adjust the water flow. I ordered 6 and 3 were cracked but they replaced the 3 immediately and I was able to keep the 3 cracked ones. My husband fixed them so now I have 9 5 gallons for the price of 6. Pretty awesome deal to me and great customer service. My husband doesn't like that they are blue but I think they are nice looking. I did have to buy heater for all of them but with the price of the tanks it wasn't an issue.

I do really like the look of the hex tanks but with all of the bettas I had to go for cheap but awesome! :)
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #36 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
Just thought I would throw this out there...

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg...-5-gal/701002/

I just got a bunch of these 5 gallon tanks from fish.com for $15 each. They are on clearance. They are blue rather than black but come with an awesome filter that allows you to adjust the water flow. I ordered 6 and 3 were cracked but they replaced the 3 immediately and I was able to keep the 3 cracked ones. My husband fixed them so now I have 9 5 gallons for the price of 6. Pretty awesome deal to me and great customer service. My husband doesn't like that they are blue but I think they are nice looking. I did have to buy heater for all of them but with the price of the tanks it wasn't an issue.

I do really like the look of the hex tanks but with all of the bettas I had to go for cheap but awesome! :)
I own that tank also for one of my boys - just couldn't pass up the price!!!

One thing about the 5 gal. tanks you just got - don't use the decorations that come with it - at least not for bettas. The plants are too scratchy and the "rock" has some holes a betta could get stuck in. Seems to me one of our posters here lost one of her boys that way. :(

Sorry to hear some came cracked, but it's good your husband was able to fix them!

What really makes the 2 gal. hex so awesome, IMO, is the lighting - I just LOVE it!!! Now, if only I could find a FIVE gal. with the same type to light set-up for cheap I would be one happy camper!!!!

Last edited by Lion Mom; 02-15-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #37 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Hmm that's something I didn't even think about. I'll open it up tonight when I get home, take a look at it and rinse it out. Thanks for the suggestions; I really don't want to have to take everything out of it and exchange it if I can avoid it.

I took a look at one in the store.

Remove carbon filter.
Grasp the inner frame thing and pull out of housing.
Motor complex on bottom of frame, you can uncap it and get the impeller out and everything.

I bought a black nearly opaque halfmoon boy to be trained for the 'boy' tank.
bad me...