Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #1 
Pekemom

To Salt or Not to Salt?

I've been reading some conflicting information about aquarium salt. Some people say only use it during fish illness. Others say use it after cleaning the tank as a disease preventative. Which is correct?
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #2 
turtle10

I would say just use it for diseases. Many experienced betta keepers on here say that the salt can cause the diseases to become more resistant. Too much aquarium salt has also been linked to kidney failure.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

As turtle10 said, just use the salt for diseases.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #4 
Scrambles

You may use it regularly, like after water changes, but only if you have a 10 gallon tank or bigger, and never exceed 1 tbsp/10 gal, and do not do it more than once a week. That is only for regular use though, those numbers may increase for disease treatment.
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #5 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
I use a pinch of salt after all my water changes. My bettas seem fine with it and have been going strong since i got them 3 months ago. a lil pinch wont hurt. I have talked to many people some of which have been using AQ salt for all there bettas and have had bettas live long and healthy lives of up to 3+ years, so all on perferance.
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #6 
Blaxicanlatino

i stopped using salt when i switched to a planted aquarium. most aquarium plants cant live with salt. My betta, which ive had for 2 yrs in this planted 10 gallon aquarium has never had a disease yet! ^^
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #7 
cjayBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxicanlatino View Post
i stopped using salt when i switched to a planted aquarium. most aquarium plants cant live with salt. My betta, which ive had for 2 yrs in this planted 10 gallon aquarium has never had a disease yet! ^^
Knock on wood :P
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #8 
Cravenne

Clean water is a much safer preventitive for diseases and health issues. If you're taking good care of your tanks and their inhabitants, regular salt isn't necessary.
I would only use it for treating an illness..it's unnecessary to use it regularly and, from what I've researched, long term exposure can cause some issues for betta down the road.

If you're only adding 'a little pinch' it really isn't doing anything anyway...seems silly to waste it.

Just my 2 cents :)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post
Clean water is a much safer preventitive for diseases and health issues. If you're taking good care of your tanks and their inhabitants, regular salt isn't necessary.
I would only use it for treating an illness..it's unnecessary to use it regularly and, from what I've researched, long term exposure can cause some issues for betta down the road.

If you're only adding 'a little pinch' it really isn't doing anything anyway...seems silly to waste it.

I agree.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #10 
Scrambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravenne View Post

I agree also, couldn't have put it better myself.
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote