Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #11 
Sweeda88

I was just stating the minimum. Although I have a TINY male in a 1 gallon, but his body length is only slightly over an inch, so it's not a big deal.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #12 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
I was just stating the minimum. Although I have a TINY male in a 1 gallon, but his body length is only slightly over an inch, so it's not a big deal.
Okeydoke. I just wanted to clarify for the OP :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #13 
JetTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
It's just that with that amount of fish in that tank, I think its impossible for everything to be at 0. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
That's too many fish already. Get the Betta a small tank of about 2.5 gallons of his own. Make sure you get a heater. 78* F is best for Betta fish.
I don't know what else to say, I get my water tested weekly, where they always use the liquid test. No levels have ever been dangerously elevated since my tank/filter were first cycling. My water quality has been crystal clear for as long as I've had the tank. I know fish don't typically die off overnight without something being wrong, but as no other fish were affected, and no other fish have died since then, the only thing I can think of that makes sense would be a sudden temperature spike/drop.

But like I said, my main concern at this time is my Betta's compatibility with with his tank-mates.
JetTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #14 
Sweeda88

Your main concern should be that it's already overstocked. Also, white cloud minnows need a lower temp than Betta fish usually do. They really aren't compatible. Also, Bettas need space to be ALONE. Being in that crowded of a tank would be too stressful.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #15 
LolaQuigs

WCMs aren't really suited to a tropical tank. Also, cories like to be in groups of at least 4 to 5. If it's possible, I would suggest upgrading to a 20 gallon and adding some more cory cats.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #16 
JetTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
WCMs aren't really suited to a tropical tank. Also, cories like to be in groups of at least 4 to 5. If it's possible, I would suggest upgrading to a 20 gallon and adding some more cory cats.
My heater automatically heats the water to 76 F and then turns off. I know this is on the higher edge of comfortable conditions for the WCM, but they've been doing just as well as the day I got them. Unfortunately, a 20 gallon tank isn't an option for the immediate future (due to rooming constraints, not financial restrictions), so adding another 3-4 cory's might not be a good idea if you're already concerned about overpopulation in my 10 gallon tank.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #17 
shinybetta

The cory will die/get severely stressed by himself. He needs friends to school with.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #18 
JetTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
The cory will die/get severely stressed by himself. He needs friends to school with.
Do you think the best solution would be to add the corys, and increase the frequency of water changes to compensate for the extra waste?