Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #1 
Iman

Ok,Ok,Ok,….wait….this is really weird

So I decided to put my betta in my big aquarium with my other fish to recover. So, I put her in there. The list of fish in that aquarium is:
1. 3 Cardinal tetras
2. 1 female (I think) golden gourami.
3. 3 corys
Well the gourami began feeling her with his long tentacle like things, she tried to get away and was swimming all around the tank, but he just kept on feeling her. He didn’t try to bite her or anything. Well, she dropped her horizontal bars. A little while later she turned a dark blue color (looked awesome) and she got dark vertical stripes! She kept on hiding from the gourami so I put her back in her tank. She retained her darker color. I thought that maybe she was ready to breed, but when I put the male’s tank adjoining hers the turned that pale color and got horizontal stripes again. I put a black sheet of black paper in-between the two betta tanks and she got her darker color again, but I am wondering….“What the heck is happening”….
Oh, yeah and I am sure she is a female betta ;)
Iman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #2 
Iman

Is something like really mentally wrong with her?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #3 
Tsuhei

She won't get vertical breeding bars from a gourami touching her.

How big is your tank?

Just a note though: Gouramis and cardinal tetras really don't mix. They're a bit too aggressive to co-exist with them.

Also, you need 5x cardinal tetras and 4x corydas for a group...they are both schooling fish.

She's probably very, very stressed out. I would remove her from that tank and place her in her own heated tank. If she is recovering, being around other fish is a bit stressful.

By the way, don't just "plop her in" when you think she looks ready. You didn't condition her properly or introduce properly. So the real question isn't what's mentally wrong with her.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #4 
Iman

Well, I put her back in her everyday tank several hours ago. She has her normal color and is eating the frozen brine shrimp that I give her (so is the male) she also eats the miniature live snails that are in her tank. She grabs them off the walls cracks their shells and then eats the insides.