Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #1 
briser

Advice on tank/heater?

I am looking to buy a new 5gal glass tank for my little Lorenzo.. I wanted some advice first before I jump and buy it... First of all, all the tanks at the pet store are over a hundred dollars which is so hard for me to afford (university student) so I was looking at this in walmart and was wondering what you guys thought of it, would this be suitable for a single betta?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

Also, for the heater I was looking at this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Heater-1-ct/10291808

Tell me what you think!!
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 
ChicagoPete

I just baught a Tetra 10 gallon from Petsmart for 21 dollars. It came with the hood and filter just like that 5 gallon your thinking about getting. I did get the same heater your looking at from walmart. It seems to do a decent job of heating the tank at 78* steadly.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #3 
briser

Unfortunately there is no petsmart around here.. so I'm stuck with walmart or the overly priced pet store..
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

I have not had good luck with that heater from Walmart. I can't get it to heat my betta's tank above 74. It is better than without the heater and until I get the ones I ordered off of ebay that are adjustable. I will be returning it though the second those new heaters land on my front porch. We keep our house pretty cold so that is part of the problem. Based on the reviews, some people have had luck with them. I personal hate them!!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #5 
Adara

Thank you, briser, for asking this question! I have decided to get my nephew (me, essentially, since I will be the one caring for it...lol) a betta and have been doing a TON of research.

I saw the same tank setup on the Wal-Mart website and was wondering about it. It received great reviews (4.5/5). However, the heater didn't get the same kind of reviews. Most of the reviewers echoed iheartmybettas comment...couldn't get the temp above 74-ish.

So, I will be interested to hear what y'all think of the tank!

Oh, and this forum rocks! All the info that I have gone through has been absolutely amazing and informative...albeit a bit mind-blowing...heh. Thanks!!
Adara is offline   Reply With Quote