Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #1 
Jayy

Exclamation Why did you do it Wal-mart?, why??!!!

While visting my grandma, my aunt sent in to Wal-mart to pickup some replacement filters. So I went in thinking, ''Good I can pickup some aquasafe while I'm here, but little did I know what lay ahead. It wasn't hard finding what I needed and I was on my way out when a loud women bought to my attention that they had BETTAS!!

I don't understand why Wal-mart wants to sell fish. There right infront was a DIED betta!! I felt bad for all of them and started to look through them. I wasn't going to buy one until, a old man who worked there came down the ale and started talking to me. He said that he only fed them TWO days a WEEK and that he gave them a bath the day before. HOW DO YOU DO THAT???!!! Saturday was one of his feeding days and lucky me it was today. He fed the betta I was holding first and asked me to helpout. After he fed them he just plobbed them on the self.

After seeing this and that the pellets they fed them were too big for most to eat, I HAD to save one. I went with the one in my hand, a deep red-orange VT with a dark brown head. One man at Wal-mart didn't even know that they sold fish and HE WORKED THERE. Since I wasn't home he had to stay in his cup until I left on Sunday. I did change his water and at one point he was in the sink and liked it alot. I also tried feeding him, but he didn't eat.

Once I got him home and into his temp 1gal bowl, he was very happy. Today, while giving Remix a water change I put them next to eachother and they had a flaring contest. Boy is he a hot head! Even when I pulled them apart he still was swiming around with his fins out acting tough. I couldn't think of a name for him and I was thinking of Flame because of his color and attitude, but While watching him and Remix flaring I noticed that he had a black beard and Remix's was red. That made me think of blackbeard the pirate. After that the name stuck. Now he's happily swiming in Rob's old kritter keeper.

Last edited by Jayy; 02-07-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #2 
chelsmarie23

I'm glad you saved one. It always breaks my heart when I go to Walmart and see the bettas. I wish I could take them all home, but I can't. :( I bet he is real happy that you took him home though.
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #3 
Jayy

I know, there was soo many that I wanted to take home. I would've bought two If I had more cash.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #4 
fleetfish

You can't save them all as much as you want to .... But if you can give one a home, it seems better than nothing.

I know exactly how you feel! Good luck with your new boy :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 
Jayy

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 
Luimeril

keep a close eye on them. at any little issue, write an e-mail complaining. they'll stop ordering them eventually.. i'm glad you saved one. <3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #7 
bettamaniac

Its too bad that my walmart gets some really beautiful veiltails but at my walmart the cups are filled a little less than half way but most of them arent dirty
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #8 
iheartmybettas

Why do you think I have so many? Everytime I have gone to walmart the past couple of weeks I have brought at least 1 home with me. It is totally ridiculous how the bettas are treated there. It is just as bad at the Petsmarts in our area. I have some from there too.

Yesterday on my lunch break I went to a Walmart by where I work just to check out their fish section since I haven't ever done that before. (I work far from where I live) Horrible. The fish in tanks have no lights. I don't know if they don't work or what. The bettas are on a couple of shelves all stacked on top of each other midway down the fish aisle. I almost didn't see them. There was of course 1 dead which I took over and put in the sink and I bought 2 semi decent looking crowntails. They both have some fin issues but seem like they might be easily remediated. One is on my desk at work with a heating pad in a 1 gallon until I can get a heater here and the other is at home. Poor babies!! I would buy them all if I could. If only the males could coexist. I would have a 55 gallon with a bunch of them in it. That would be so cool...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #9 
Canuck Fins

That's crazy!

Walmart here does not carry fish anymore, not in the older stores or the new supercentres.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #10 
Tsuhei

I hate walmart so much... I'm actually tempted to bring food pellets with me and feed the bettas each time I visit <.<; Maybe carry a little bottle of water conditioner so I can do some much-needed water changes..? xD It's so tempting, but all it would probably do is make the employees look good to their manager. -_- lose/lose situations suck.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote