Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #1 
SimplyPeaChe

What the heck?

i cant really fill out an info thing for him, i just brought him home today, my cousin has had him for about a year. He is deformed, im wondering if it is SBD, parasites or???

SimplyPeaChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #2 
bamsuddenimpact

those last two pics he looks dead... fresh water every day and possibly a bit of epsom salt (for bloating) and some Indian Almond Leaf.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Idk about the IAL and epsom together (?) Idk, I think,if you can get it, IAL will be enough.
Fast the poor thing for a bit, for sure.
Poor thing D;
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #4 
ChicagoPete

OMG :'( Hes in such bad shape. I hope he pulls through. :'(
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #5 
Biomess

Maybe a serious swim bladder problem, poor little fish.
I would contat Oldfishlady asap. Good luck!
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

Oh, man. Poor baby! I don't have any advice except clean water and lots of love. I hope he makes it!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ

If he had been like this for a long time...it may be his time and if the Epsom salt treatment has not helped within 5-10 days....you may need to do what is right by him and end his suffering......he looks to be in pretty bad shape...

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Remember to poke a hole or two in the veggie wrap so he doesnt suffocate :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #9 
SimplyPeaChe

he has been like this since she got him home and put him in his tank. He eats, but you have to poke him or he wont look for the food.

I figure if i cant get him to start showing improvment in the next week i will cull him.

epsum salt and decaf green tea i can do. My mom has already stated that she wont buy anything we dont have just for him. I can understand, he has been like this for a year.
His water stayes at or just below 80. IDK if flating him in the big tank would be good, My VT male is quite agressive and the Female on the other side of the Devider is too.

For such a small container, exaclty how do i do 100% water changes?

The other male i got from her is a little dull, but healthy other then that.

I can get all that mixed up after i get home from school tomorow, i added Kosher pickleing salt to his water before i put him in. (it did wonders for my VT and my female when i was treating minor finrot.)
SimplyPeaChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #10 
Biomess

When I had my boy in QT, I floated two small containers in the tank one with the fish, the other with fresh/salt treated water.
So come cleaning time, the new cup was the same temperature as his cup and I just netted him out into the new one.
Maybe use a clean/no soap tupperware container as the second cup.
So you are saying, he's been like that for the whole time she's had him?!?
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote