Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #1 
Soyuki

Something to pass onto others.

This Christmas my nephew was given a fishtank and fish for Christmas by a relative who mis-interpreted his desire for a robotic fish for a real one.

I wanted to pass on so people know for future and next holiday season to NEVER just drop a pet on someone and fish most especially.

I ended up having to run out and get some Bio-spira to quickly cycle the tank and replace the fish that had already perished being kept in a tank so tiny (5 gallons for 3 goldfish... blech) and managed to offload the other goldfish to the LFS and get him a nice betta instead.

I thought a lot about what would have happened if he didn't have an Aunt who knew what to do and it was pretty saddening. His mother also doesn't like or want pets in the house but it's hard to take awhile what is given.

So please don't just give pets for any special occasion. Talk with parents first, make sure it's something that they know how to care for, and that it's an animal that's wanted. If you still insist on giving critters for the holidays or birthdays, please visit your local shelter January-February and take a long hard look at all the abandoned/given-up animals that were meant as presents. And then think about how many fish/amphibians/reptiles that parish because they were given to someone who has no clue on how to best care for them.

Sorry for this preachy post it just really got to me and I wanted to make sure people are passing this mentality on. Pets are awesome but they're forever. :)
Soyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're not sounding preachy at all. I agree with what you're saying. If you're going to give a pet as a gift it should be cleared with the people involved and they should know how to care for it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #3 
Chachi

I agree completely!!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #4 
2muttz

A big to your post. I wish we could put it up on a billboard! Thank you for stepping up.

As a former shelter volunteer, I well remember bracing for the "January dump".

And there's even less hope and resources for the little "disposable" type pets such as fish and rodents....

Holidays are a terrible time to just give live creatures out. No time to care for them, no time to learn about them, uncertainty about whether they are even wanted.... A nice gift certificate is a much better idea, even some animal shelters offer them. Then the lucky recipient(s) can have great fun getting ready for and picking out their own new family member when the year-end rush is over.
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Good advice indeed

Thanks for taking care of those poor fish :(
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #6 
JustinieBeanie

Thank you! I never understand why people feel it is appropriate for people, no matter how well meaning, to give pets as gifts to children without gaining the parents' permission first. I mean it is the parents home that the pet is going to live in, it is the parents who will probably be paying for the animals food, vet care and more, and let's be honest, in all likelihood it is the parents who will most likely end up doing most of the care taking chores for the pet too. What if you give someone an animal that the child or their family is allergic to, or a pet that doesn't "click" with the family, or a pet they can't afford, and they end up having to give it up?

While it bothers me most when people give children pets as gifts without consulting the parents, it still irritates me even when one adult gives another adult a pet as a gift without checking with that person first. If they have discussed it beforehand, and the gift giver knows that the gift receiver A) wants a pet, B)has the *space, the *financial means, the *energy and *time required to take care of it, and C) is at least mostly prepared for a pet's arrival (like with food, a cage for an animal that needs one etc) then I think that is ok for one adult to give another a pet as a gift, but only if those aforementioned criteria are met. I knew of a young couple (family friends) where the guy gave her a kitten for a gift, well they broke up and I'm pretty sure she gave it back and because he went to college his parents wound up caring for this cat that they never planned on having. Even if she didn't give the cat back after the breakup, because she too was off to college her parents would have been the ones to take care of it. This is a shining example of why you should think your plan to give a pet as a gift all the way through! Had that guy thought "boy what if we break up and she doesn't want the cat?" I'm sure he would've gotten her some nice jewelry instead! Lol
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote