Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #1 
Nutt007

Question Red Spot on Mouth?!

My Betta, Bloom, has recently have been developing a red spot on his mouth. I have had him for about 7 months, and he is currently living in a divided, heated, ten gallon, with my other Betta, Cirrus. Can someone please tell me why he suddenly has a red spot on his mouth? I hope it's not anything bad, I couldn't bear to see my sassy lil' guy get sick!
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and get him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank...until we figure out what is going on....

In the divided heated 10gal tank with one other Betta-how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, filtration, live plants, water temp, additives used, is he still eating and any other symptoms and how is the other fish...can you post a clear pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #3 
Nutt007

It is filtered, it has some hornwort, java fern, and a 'Betta Bulb" I think it might be anubias. I would change the water, but my dad won't let me because he thinks the filter changes the water. He still eats like the pig he is and Cirrus, my other fish is fine. I have also noticed that Bloom is resting more often. Hi water is kept at a mild 78 degrees.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #4 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post

It is filtered, it has some hornwort, java fern, and a 'Betta Bulb" I think it might be anubias. I would change the water, but my dad won't let me because he thinks the filter changes the water. He still eats like the pig he is and Cirrus, my other fish is fine. I have also noticed that Bloom is resting more often. Hi water is kept at a mild 78 degrees.
Why won't he let you?? It isn't his fish, it is yours. Tell him the filter doesn't get the bad chemicals out, the water changes do.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #5 
Nutt007

Well, I would never be rude to my dad. I suppose I could get a siphon with my own money when we go to PetCo this weekend, but I don't know if he will let me get it. Any ideas on how I could persuade him without busting out ye' ol'
Quote:
It isn't his fish, it is yours.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #6 
turtle10

It isn't rude if you disagree. Unfortunately, if you listen to him and don't change the water it will hurt your fish. Just say something like, "Dad, I know the tank has the filter, but it also needs water changes to get the chemicals that the filter doesn't get out." Then maybe explain how bettas constantly secret ammonia and if it builds up (which it will) it can burn them.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #7 
naturegirl243

I don't get why he won't let you.It's not like he has to change the water so whats the problem?How long has it been since you changed the water?It could be an amonnia burn.
naturegirl243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #8 
Nutt007

I'll ask him when he gets home. I have not changed the water in a month. I was also thinking he could have cut his mouth on the filter baffle, I'm gonna try baffling the filter with sponges this weekend. I am also going to bring in a water sample to get tests done on it. For now, Bloom is in my 1 gallon QT tub. Thanks for the help, I didn't want it to be some tumor or parasite.

EDIT:
The redness is also inside his mouth, and it's forming a bump inside it. Oh no...
Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #9 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post
I'll ask him when he gets home. I have not changed the water in a month. I was also thinking he could have cut his mouth on the filter baffle, I'm gonna try baffling the filter with sponges this weekend. I am also going to bring in a water sample to get tests done on it. For now, Bloom is in my 1 gallon QT tub. Thanks for the help, I didn't want it to be some tumor or parasite.

EDIT:
The redness is also inside his mouth, and it's forming a bump inside it. Oh no...
You need to change the water ASAP, like NOW.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #10 
kfish

If he's in quarantine, you can change that 100% everyday, right? So that should help that issue...

Can't you change the water without him knowing? You don't necessarily need a siphon... you can always stir up the water and scoop it out with a cup into a bucket (when he's not home). ;)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote