Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #11 
Abby

she has till tomorrow to improve or not get worse but shes been floating on her side too.
another method i was just told on the phone to my pet store is put salt in water in the freezer and it wont freeze it will get REALLY to the point it should freeze cold and put her in it and back in freezer
the store has offered to replace her as well which i find very nice.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #12 
demonr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbettagirl View Post
If you want to go one better than clove oil, the best way to euthanize a fish is by using Tricaine Methanesulfonate (also called MS-222). It's available for purchase online, and is a great fish sedative/anesthetic. To use, bathe fish in 250 mg per liter of water for 10 minutes, then add lots of ice to water.

I'm a student in a research facility that studies danios (zebrafish). This is our method of choice for euthanizing sick or dying fish. This method is in accordance with all animal care regulations. It is also approved by the FDA, and considered humane by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
GAH now I need to do the math and figure out the correct quantity for a small QT tank. Marco is not doing too well and I think we may be losing him.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #13 
JKfish

I'm not freezing her, because apparently that's painful, sort of like people who die of exposure to freezing temps suffer from frostbite and stuff before they die. I'll be getting clove oil soon, and it works as way to put them to sleep.

redbettagirl: thanks for that info, I'll have to keep that in mind, but at the moment, clove oil is already on the way, so I'll use that this time.

I asked on another forum, and so far I like this response best out of all the responses I've gotten.
Quote:
1.) Get yourself an empty milk or water gallon jug, cut out the top of it so it's wide enough to put a fish into it easily. Then fill it up with water from the same tank your fish is in & add the fish to the jug.

2.) Mix 3 drops of clove oil into 1 cup of water. Once you've mixed the clove oil & 1 cup of water thoroughly, add it to the gallon jug with the fish in it. Within a couple of minutes you should see your fish get "sleepy" (e.g. swimming wobbly).

When you see this you can go ahead and add another 3 drops to the jug. Your fish should then float up to the top like it's dead, but it still might be breathing. Wait another 2 - 3 minutes & add another 3 drops & observe. Your fish should be dead by now, but if not, then go ahead and add a few more drops until it is no longer breathing. The amount of clove oil you'll need will vary from fish to fish.

The key is to introduce the clove oil gradually (not all in one shot) in order to minimize the stress to your fish.

When your done throw out the gallon jug. Clove oil is potent & being an oil it's hard to rinse off well.
What do you all think?

Last edited by JKfish; 02-10-2011 at 01:01 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #14 
Abby

sounds like a good one to keep on file.
Unfortunately Tamina took the decision on how to euthanise her out of my hands, she passed away over night.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #15 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
Ya, what Abby said! Don't poison her just freeze her. If you just put her in a small glass or plastic bag with a little bit of water in it then pop her in the freezer that would be nicer. That way her system will slowly shut down and she will "fall into a deep sleep forever", much less cruel in my opinion!
Actually it is more cruel. Clove oil isn't poison, it is an anesthetic for fish. It is like the anesthesia they give you to go to sleep for surgery. Basically when using clove oil the fish will go to "sleep", if removed from clove oil it will wake back up.

When water freezes it expands. Bettas are made of of millions of tiny animal cells, and when exposed to freezing temperatures the fluid in the cells expands and the cells burst. This makes freezing a very painful and stressful process. The system doesn't slowly shut down, they just start to freeze alive. And even if freezing wasn't painful, the fish would still be very cold and scared.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #16 
Marona

But you're basically overdosing the fish, Turtle.

Even anesthesia can kill you in high amounts.

Least that's what biology tells me clove oil would do.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #17 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marona View Post
But you're basically overdosing the fish, Turtle.
Even anesthesia can kill you in high amounts.

Least that's what biology tells me clove oil would do.
That is why you measure the proper dose.

Wait, how am I overdosing?

Last edited by turtle10; 02-11-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #18 
Marona

...I failed to read the quote. LOL xD I'm sick and my fish is scaring me, sorry. ;A;
Old 02-11-2011, 01:50 AM   #19 
turtle10

Wait….what? I'm confused lol.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #20 
Marona

I didn't read what you had quoted before, thus misinterpreted what you were saying. Lol