Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #11 
kfish

How long was it out of the tank? If it couldn't have gotten contaminated by any chemicals or anything else and was only out of the tank for a few hours, then go for it. I'd hate to see you waste a fresh cartridge, though. It'll still re-cycle, but it'll take longer with the new cartridge.

If you notice another bacterial bloom (cloudy water is another indicator), perform another large water change. While you want bacteria, bacterial blooms can be detrimental to your fish.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #12 
soichiro

Well idk. The filter box says I should replace the filter every 3 to 4 weeks and I know I've used that specific filter for over a month
soichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #13 
kfish

A lot of them say that because activated carbon loses effectiveness after that amount of time... most aquarists don't even use activated carbon, so they don't care. Some people who want carbon without ruining the biological filter fill a sack of nylon pantyhose or some other material with it and stick it in the filter... then just replace that once a month.

Cycling can take anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 weeks. Possibly longer if the tank was not seeded with bacteria and has no live plants. It can be a frustrating process... you'll find a lot of threads with titles "WHY WON'T MY TANK CYCLE?!" But it's completely rewarding in the end... it gives comfort in knowing that you have a little bit of leeway with water changes, because a fish won't die or get sick as quickly with the end product of a cycled tank - nitrate. But even 1 ppm of ammonia or nitrite can be deadly.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #14 
soichiro

Well thank you for all the help it sure has given me a better understanding on all of this
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #15 
Alex09

No water changes in 7 months?!
YOU NEED TO:
A) To cycle:
Do a 50% WC 2x a week. Never change out the cartridge. Only swish it in old tank water every week or two. After a month or two you should be cycled. You can take a sample of water to your pet store and have them test it to confirm this.

B) MAINTENANCE
Once your tank is cycled make sure to do at least a 25% water change EVERY WEEK. Buy a gravel vacuum (usually less than $10) and use that. Your problem was that you never cleaned the water. The filter only helps - it doesnt do the work for you. It doesn't magically make all the waste matter dissapear. The filter doest even suck up all of the waste; only some of it. The water will have plenty of dissolved stuff in it. Thats why it needs to be cleaned out.

Here's a demonstrational vid that show how to do a water change using a gravel vac. Ignore the part about needing salt & filter cartridges as you dont need that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yK7y0dKv00

Last edited by Alex09; 02-08-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #16 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
No water changes in 7 months?!
YOU NEED TO:
A) To cycle:
Do a 50% WC 2x a week. Never change out the cartridge. Only swish it in old tank water every week or two. After a month or two you should be cycled. You can take a sample of water to your pet store and have them test it to confirm this.

B) MAINTENANCE
Once your tank is cycled make sure to do at least a 25% water change every week. Your problem was that you never cleaned the water. The filter only helps - it doesnt do the work for you. It doesn't magically make all the waste matter dissapear. The filter doest even suck up all of the waste; only some of it. The water will have plenty of dissolved stuff in it. Thats why it needs to be cleaned out.
I was hoping someone else would post and reaffirm what I said! Haha. :)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #17 
soichiro

Thank you so much guys Soichiro and I have bonded so much and I would hate to murder him! i don't think I have enough conditioner at the moment to replace 50% and I don't want to risk running out while trying to refill the tank since it is 11 pm and i cant go get new conditioner. So i will replace the water tomorrow.

thankfully he will still eat but like i said right now he is just sitting at the bottom of the tank.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #18 
kfish

Get Prime! It will last forever. 2 drops per gallon. :)
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #19 
soichiro

so prime as in...
http://www.petco.com/product/7929/Se...t=OnSiteSearch

currently im using this betta h2o conditioner which after this conversation im assuming isnt the best bet haha. ugh i just hope Soichiro doesnt die before this is fixed. also you were talking about having plants in the tank. im thinking about doing that. any preferences on live plants?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #20 
baylee767

Most live plants die on me and require high lighting... BUT...

Java ferns FTW! They can survive in almost anything!
Anubias! Similar to java ferns.
Marimo balls, and absolute must because they are awesome.
I don't reccomend anarchis because my expirience was they rot and shed insanely.
I haven't owned hornwort which some people reccomend, but I hear it sheds alot.
Swords! I own some and they are easy enough.

Those are some low lighting low care plants I've heard of/own. They'll speed up your cycling for sure.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote