Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Question Weird Question

Hey guys. This is gonna be a weird question. :/

My boy Firefly tailbites because I'm not with him much recently (I think this is why anyway).

Do you think if I get a couple of shrimp for his side of the 5 gallon (once it's set up) or a nerite snail that he'll stop his tailbiting because he'll have something to chase or investigate while I'm not at his tank?

I want to be with him all the time (I REALLY do! I'm serious.) but I'm busy now with environmental campaigns and community service and friends. I get to be with him daily but it's usually only for a few hours (like 5 MAX, usually 3 on weekdays, weekends usually longer all day if I want to) and I know he's not as happy as he could be because of this.

I'm planning on keeping him in a divided HEAVILY (trust me on this one) planted 5 gallon with Genie on the other side until I can upgrade them to a 10 gallon kit (when I FINALLY get my aid! >:[ Stupid aid office!) and divide that for them and toss Firedrake and some marbles into the 5 gallon (he likes being alone! :'D cute little fighter).

Do you think being in a divided tank might also help him?

Until his fins heal though I'm keeping him in his 1 gallon quarantine in the dark with plenty of salt by himself. And it might take a while. :/

I'm just asking for future reference. I'm hoping that this works because I really don't know what else to do except maybe quit my environmental club. :[ And I REALLY don't want to do that.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #2 
BlueHaven

If he's not aggressive to other bettas, and the other betta too, then it sounds like great idea to me! Even if they just put up with eachother.
But I think sometimes bettas will get through dividers if they aren't tightly fit enough and high enough, maybe touching the lid.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #3 
shinybetta

My bettas check out shrimp and other fish if they are bored. My female will even school with the cory's! I think it will work!
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 
fishman12

Yeah, that seems like that would work.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #5 
MoePaac

I'd say it's a good idea. My male betta flares the heck out of his nerite snail companion. He ate all his shrimp friends...

My female is in my community tank and she is all up in everyones business... mostly to make sure she has gotten her share (and more!) of food.

Shrimp are fantastic and I love having them around. I have some in my community tank and also have a 3 gallon dedicated to 4 ghost shrimp and a lone RCS. To my surprise I even spotted a tiny baby ghost shrimp! I guess the tank is planted heavily enough for one or two to survive now and then.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shrimp, snails, tail biting, tank mates