Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #11 
demonr6

Get some of those plant weights, try and sort out the light issue and when you stir up the tank, just do your water change then. It happens to mine too and I have a few plants in it. It is cloudy for a bit but it all sorts out and the levels in my tank are super now that it is established. It takes some work to get the right combo of plants in there. The snail takes care of the algae, the ghost shrimp takes care of everything the snail produces or fails to clean and the fish just owns the place. :)
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #12 
baylee767

Just thought I'd update. I threw out all my anarchis, it was getting brown and squishy on TOP and bottom, so it isn't light. This wierd stuff keeps forming on it... IDK if it's dead leaves or what, but it looks like brown clumps of dead leaves and slime and such all over the plants. It only forms on the anarchis, so I'm hoping the tank is cleaner.

Also, right after I did my easiest water change yet because I didn't have to worry about sucking up the anarchis. But the leaves were EVERYWHERE, and my syphon got 3 gallons of water in less than 30 seconds /=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #13 
Hadouken441

Im sorry if this sounds blunt, but light isnt the only thing plants need. Even easy plants like anacharis can die if not taken care of correctly
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #14 
Alex09

Stick to java ferns & anubias :) they wont shed junk into your tank, are low light, no maintenance, and are generally bulletproof. I have java ferns in two 1.5 gallon tanks (different rooms too) with NO artificial lighting. It's been a few months and they're still doing great. I have seen some BEAUTIFUL tanks that were planted with ONLY these plants (or only even one)

EDIT: A tank which is mostly only java fern & anubias:

Last edited by Alex09; 02-09-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #15 
Hadouken441

+1 to that

Java ferns take a while to get full but man are they beautiful when they get huge.

This is not my picture but I love love this tank

Java fern in the back. It gets so thick its amazing. Actually every plant in here is Low Tech. The most important factor to these plants is Patience. It takes maybe a year to get it like that

Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #16 
wallywestisthebest333

Where did you get your anacharis from? It's possible that when you got it it was already dying. Every time I walk into a pet store and look at their anacharis in the plant tank it's really gross. :[

Do you have enough ammonia in your tank for all of it? That might also be another reason why it's not doing too well.

Also you do have the correct kind of light right? Two wpg means nothing unless you're using simulated Daylight.

As for your lighting schedule you should have the light on for four or five hours, off for four hours, then on again for another four to five hours. =]

Do you have root tabs for your sword plants? If not you'll want to get some before it starts dying off.

That's all the advice I can give you. =]

Edit: Oh well that sucks. :[ Well if it helps any it sounds like what you had was a bit of rot combined with some algae. The algae was probably keeping the plant from getting al of the light it needed.

The easiest way to fix that is to take it out of the tank, then rub it a bit to get what you can off. With Anacharis though you have to be gentle.

It helps if you have ramshorn snails and shrimp. =] The ramshorns have a fancy buoyancy system and are really light and the shrimp can swim so they can both take care of the more delicate plants not to mention they'll eat the rotting stuff too. Mystery snails in particular love eating dead and dying plants. =]

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 02-09-2011 at 11:52 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #17 
Alex09

I remember giving up and going back to artificial once (because of algae problems). I really hated the look of plastic though so I decided to give it a second try. Changed a few things; mainly reduced artificial lighting (my tank is right beneath a window) and everything's been going great now.

@ Hadouken441: Is that a different type of java fern? the leaves look much narrower and more "grassy" than the ones I have.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #18 
Hadouken441

yeah its Trident Fern and also Needle Leaf Fern. It looks much much better IMO than normal Java Fern. Java fern looks too wild looking to me and you cant get much of a scape. Its also used in my tank journal on here too you should check it out!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #19 
treehuggerlove

planted tanks are hard, my favorite plants are pecock fern, bamboo, java fern and an onion. . .onions arnt that pretty but they are soooo easy and i find that my ghost shrimp and betta looove them.
treehuggerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 AM   #20 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
I remember giving up and going back to artificial once (because of algae problems). I really hated the look of plastic though so I decided to give it a second try. Changed a few things; mainly reduced artificial lighting (my tank is right beneath a window) and everything's been going great now.

@ Hadouken441: Is that a different type of java fern? the leaves look much narrower and more "grassy" than the ones I have.
Lol! This is a testament to how personal planted tanks are! I have a 13 watt daylight bulb over a 2 gallon with a ton of stem plants, an anubias, and some java ferns and I had very little by way of algae problems! XD

I was gonna ask the same thing. =] I like that java fern! It'd be cool to get another kind!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote