Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 
Marona

Help with planted tank

So I was retarded and started getting plants without doing my research. I threw together my tank with bacopa which I've read needs substrate. I'm not sure about the 'frill' I got from petsmart, as well. I've also got some longer grasses, which I forget the name of.

I've read my java fern is fine, though.

As far as substrate goes...is any fine? Looks like petsmart doesn't have much choice. I like the ones I'm seeing at petco.com a little better.

http://www.petco.com/product/111998/...t=OnSiteSearch Look ok?

Any other advice on a planted tank? Do I really need CO2? Can I go without? Should I just let the bacopa die and leave my tank with plants that don't need substrate?

Ugh. :l Just need some advice. Definitely a novice.
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You don't have to have CO2 unless you want to go high-tech...most plants will be fine without added CO2...what is more important in successful planted tanks are your lights....how big is the tank and watts and kelvin on your bulbs and how old are your bulbs....

Substrate-on the low-tech, low-light planted tanks (which are great btw) you can use regular gravel that is small in diameter or the plant substrates like in your link

Finding the right plants is important too-and be aware that some plants that are reported to be easy low light may or may not work in your tank....each tank is different and sometimes it is a trial and error kinda thing until you find plants that like your tank, water, lights and setup......but don't stress....its easier than you think.....

Bacopa-several memebers here have that and it grows fine for them-a lot of the stem plants will be fine floating for awhile too-see if you can find the species of the plants you have and we can help you better

You have lots of really nice plants to pick from for the low-mod light/low tech planted tanks....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #3 
Marona

The divided side of my tank with "frill", java fern, and the grass.

My Bacopa and the same type of grass behind the ruins decoration.

Checking the light now...It came with the tank so I'm unsure. It didn't even come with a box that explained what the light was putting out lol. It's pretty much a brand new bulb, though. Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything that gives me a unit of kelvins it's putting out but it's a 9watt.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I am not sure what the "frill" is but it doesn't look like a java fern and the grass what I can see looks like mondo grass and its not aquatic and will rot...the bacopa look good or right for the species

Can you get a better pic of the fern and grass

What size is your tank

Look on the bulb itself-it may have the kelvin on it...what kind of bulb btw..
Old 02-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #5 
Marona

Fluorescent bulb. -goes to take more pictures-

There's the java fern AND the frill, hehe. I know the frill is named by petsmart. I'm just not sure of the specific name.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Was it in a tube...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #7 
Marona

Nah. All were planted in their plant tank. Uploading now.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #8 
Marona

Stupid glare. The frill.

The fern.

Flipped around my tank and took from the backside so it was easier to see.

Grass.

Frill again.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

The frill looks like Cabomba caroliniana or Didiplis diandra...but google it and make sure...if it is...both a good stem plant but the didplis needs a bit more light and iron...the grass still looks a lot like mondo grass or koto grass...look them up and see...if so, they are not true aquatic and will rot, die and pollute the tank...but its really hard for me to tell for sure by the pic...

When they pulled up the grass what did the roots look like? I have seen tanks full of mondo grass at both petsmart and petco being sold as aquatic plants...they will live for about a month and then start to rot ans stink....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-09-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #10 
Marona

They were pale white and rather thin. Not very bushy, though.

That Caroliniana looks fairly accurate. Also tried looking it up and it sounds like the frill from petsmart is also some form of Myriophyllum.