Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to a forum of betta addicts. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #12 
Holimom

Help.....again, please.

I have been patiently waiting for the tank to cycle, but I am concerned about something "growing" in the tank.

I added 6 drops of PRIME back on 2/11 - figured there was at least 3 gallons in the tank, could be 4 but I am not sure - and other than testing the water and adding maybe a cup of fresh water (non treated) to make up for evaporation, I have not done anything or added anything to the tank or water. I use very hot water and nothing else to rinse out cup I use, which is for tank only, and the test tubes I use for testing water.

I will try to post pictures below, but my concern is over the weekend I noticed something green on our Flintstone House decoration. My husband says it has always been that way, but I am pretty sure it wasn't. I figured I give him the benefit of the doubt since there isn't any fish in there anyways.

My water prams seem okay...I guess. Where Nitrate seemed to get to 10 it went back down to 5.0 and has stayed there. pH is still showing 8.2 and Nitrite is staying at 0.25. Ammonia is growing like crazy and will probably be at 8 tomorrow. It is between 4 and 8 today. Should see Nitrite rise soon right?

Well this morning there is now a flim of sort floating on the water. Is this normal? Should I let it run its course? Should I do a water change to bring Ammonia back down a bit? When I see things growing, don't know why, but it scares me, LOL!

You guys were so helpful before. I will appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Attached Images

Holimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I couldn't find what you are using for the ammonia source......what is it...you want to try and keep the ammonia in the 4ppm range

You are on about day 9-10 of the fishless cycle...correct....

The scum on the surface is most likely organic and harmless

The green on the decoration may be algae and normal

You are running the filter all the time....correct?

The only chemical additives you have added-is the Prime...correct?

Just to up-date...or remind me...lol......do you have any live plants in the tank?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #14 
Holimom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I couldn't find what you are using for the ammonia source......what is it...you want to try and keep the ammonia in the 4ppm range

You are on about day 9-10 of the fishless cycle...correct....

The scum on the surface is most likely organic and harmless

The green on the decoration may be algae and normal

You are running the filter all the time....correct?

The only chemical additives you have added-is the Prime...correct?

Just to up-date...or remind me...lol......do you have any live plants in the tank?
Thanks for replying Oldfishlady and for helping out....

I put a piece of raw shrimp in a mesh bag on the 2nd day after I set up the tank which was on 1/29 - set up 1/30 - shrimp was added

I am on day 18 today of a fishless cycle. Don't want to add fish because my son would be devasted if something happened to the fish. Bad experience with goldfish in a bowl that lasted less than a month. Too inexperience with fish. Trying to get the tank cycled first this time and do it right.

I am running filter and heater 24/7. Heater is adjustable and periodically shuts itself off but it is always plugged in. Water temp is 80/82. The light in the hood is on a timer and it runs about 10 hours a day. The tank does not get any natural light, or barely any. There is one big window in the room and tank is clear on other side of room. The window has thin sheers covering it 24/7 so yes not much light reaches the tank.

I have only added PRIME on 2/11. It was mentioned to use about 2 drops per gallon and I estimated that there is probably 3 maybe 4 gallons of water in our 5 gallon tank. There is a lot of decorations in the tank, lol!

Even if the scum is harmless....should I remove it? Or should I let it sit in tank till it cycles? The algae too...should i clean out the decoration or leave it alone for now?

No live plants...wanting to keep a fish alive before I try to keep plants alive, haha!

The filter I have, came and is attached to the tank...Aqueon mini bow 5 gallon. The water still runs through but could it have stopped working? Should I swish the filter out in some tank water? It is a SMALL filter but the water is still clear, even with the scum and algae, lol!

Thanks again for your help. :)
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #15 
Bettaluver4evr

The goldfish in a bowl is a common misconception. Your son shouldn't feel bad about it though! Poor guy. My brother has always had problems with fish too... don't worry though, any betta would be blessed to have such a great tank! My bettas are all very happy and healthy, and the biggest tank I own is the 2.5 gallon Mini Bow. Those tanks are great, aren't they? The filter is still working, it's just that sometimes tanks get a little algae. And the film is perfectly normal, I've seen it all of the time with my bettas. It's natural and completely harmless.
Definitely listen to OFL, she's an expert and a great help.
As soon as everything is perfect in the tank and it has finished cycling, I would pick out a beautiful betta with long fins that aren't all clamped up. Make sure there aren't any fuzzy white spots on the betta, and make sure he can swim okay. Once you bring him home, float his cup in the tank for a few hours so the water temp will be the same. Once it is, dunk out a little bit of his cup water in the sink and put in a little tank water so he can taste it and adjust. Do this every 10 minutes or so for half an hour, and then gently put the fish in the tank. It is best to use a net, because you probably don't want any gross petstore fish water in your beautiful tank.
In a tank like this, your son's betta will live for years! I've had my crowntail betta for almost 8 months, and he is loving his tank, and it isn't nearly as nice as yours! Please post some pics when you get the lucky little betta. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Can you post your water pram numbers for the tank...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH.....
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #17 
Holimom

Thanks Bettaluver4evr. I will do as you say when we do finally get our Betta. I took Oldfishlady's advice and know that the pet store gets new Bettas on Tuesdays. So we will be going on a Tuesday night to go pick up our new addition to the family when the time comes. :)

Oldfishlady...I have been testing the waters everyday this week.
The water pram for today 2/16 is as follows:
Ammonia 4.0 / 8.0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5.0
pH 8.2

Hope this info helps you. I really would like to know if I should remove this stuff or if I should leave it alone until the tank cycles.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Since you are starting to show nitrates-I would remove the shrimp the day before you get the Betta and make a water change get the ammonia and nitrite to 0ppm and add the Betta...continue to monitor the levels and make water changes as needed.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #19 
Holimom

Thanks! Will do!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #20 
Holimom

Happy 1st Birthday!

Hi Guys!

Well, this Wednesday, March 14th, will be a year since we had our pet Betta Aro. A YEAR!!! Couldn't have done it without this site and all of you who posted and helped me out! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Reminder: My son had goldfish who lasted not even a month....heartbreak, heartbreak. Wanted a Betta. Mom was worried of having another heartbreak so research ALOT before buying said Betta and asked ALOT of question on this site. People responded and helped me out....Thank you so much!

Aro is a male crown tail who has a black body and red fins. I am a big Twilight fan and he reminded me of the Volutri who wear their flowing red capes so with a little nudging from me, my son named him Aro. My son also said he liked that because he is a fast as a shooting arrow! LOL!

When we went to the pet store to pick out our Betta, they really were in not so good shape. Especially our Aro. His fins were torn and he wasn't very active. But my son wanted him. I told him I wasn't a fish doctor and that to me he didn't look very good but if that is who he wanted then at least we can give this Betta the best last days of his life in a wonderful tank we have set up. I made sure my kid understood that this Betta might not last a week!

Here we are a YEAR later and can't tell you how much we love him! We all talk to him and call him and he swims right to us when we are near. :)

I did come back here and searched about a month after we got him because I found him floating sideways up on top. I thought oh no! But when I would approach the tank he would wiggle and really struggle to right himself and swim down, so I knew he wasn't dead. After searching on this site (God bless this site) I found out that he was probably constipated. Especially since we fed him worms on the weekend. Turns out we were over feeding him. We spent 3 days not feeding him and then started up again. We were giving him 3 pellets 2x a day. We went down to 2 pellets 2x a day and he has been great ever since. On Saturdays after water changes we give him a worm. Just one! Sundays he fasts....no food.

He has grown in size and his fins look so much better! I was gonna be so happy if we got him to 6 months and we have surpassed that! Our Betta is 1 year old!!! Ok not until Wednesday...

Thank you again everybody for helping this new Betta loving family out! Our lives are so blessed because you helped us succeed!

Sincerely,
Aro's family :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARO!!

Name:  Aro1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  Aro2.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  43.1 KB