Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #11 
vaygirl

About the beads, I have ceramic rings in all my 5 gallon filters in addition to the carbon insert. I find this keeps them more stable. The more surface area you have in your filter, the more space for bacteria to grow. So I'd go for it. When I don't have ceramic in there my smaller tanks can tend to mini-cycle. That's just my two cents on it though. My filters aren't very big. :)

I NEVER, ever change my cartridges. I have a 10 gallon with a filter on it that I've never even opened up. It's been running fine for a year. They sell them to you to make money. When you need to do tank maintenance, just pull the cartridge out, swish it in dirty tank water, put it back in. This removes big debris.

Tanks always get cloudy when they start up. Or at least mine do. Should clear up. It's probably bacterial bloom (which is good!)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #12 
kfish

LOL It's be great if they got koi sized! Then maybe people wouldn't keep them in tiny cups ;)

Some people like to have a carbon filter going, since it removes chemicals that might get in the tank. If you get the beads and have a bio filter pad, you would probably be okay to change the filter cartridge if you want carbon filtration. It's not necessary for you to spend that money, though.

You'd never clean or change the bio sponge or the beads, since you want to keep that bacteria as much as possible. In fact, I think even the filter directions (at least mine did) instruct you to never clean or change out the bio sponge.

The water could look milky from a small bacterial bloom. I think it's rather early to have one, but still possible! If you have a gravel substrate it could also be from that. I'd wait just to see if it's from gravel silt (if you have gravel) or anything like that. If it gets worse, do a smallish water change. While you want bacteria, a huge bacterial bloom isn't great for your fish.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #13 
kfish

Also, cute and inventive baffle, but WHERE ARE THE CUTE BETTA PICTURES?! XD
Old 02-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #14 
k2ofcu

Info overload: your opinions on current setup requested

Ok- think I figured it out! lol There's a pic of tank entire, one of Fred 'en log' and one of Fred- thanks!
Attached Images

k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #15 
kfish

Oh my goodness! He's so cute and tiny. :D
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #16 
k2ofcu

Thanks for the kind words- he seemed really little to me, too! (was the smallest one in the worst water, so home he came! : / )

I was reading about 'softly rounded belly'criteria -and he really doesn't seem to have one (even if it may look like he has one in the pics, he's really pretty skinny (even my sister asked if he was skinny)).

I NEVER see him eat anything (save for once stabbing at a cooked, skinned pea that I smushed up and gave him initially because I heard that it was good for constipation).

Seems happy enough and am resisting the overfeed (I hope)- should I try the cooked pea again (though I've heard conflicting info on that)?

THANKS!!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #17 
kfish

No, I wouldn't feed peas. I know freeze dried daphnia is like powder, and it's also good for their digestion and it's protein so it won't affect them badly like peas.

You can also try cutting up a frozen (well, thawed :P) bloodworm really small. Have you tried soaking the pellets in tank water and then breaking them up? Probably easier to crush that way, and they swell in water, so soaking them will make it so they don't swell up in his tiny body (lol, it makes me think of a mommy bird pre-chewing its babies' food).

Last edited by kfish; 02-10-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #18 
vaygirl

Aw, he's so teeny! How cute!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #19 
k2ofcu

Info overload: your opinions on current setup requested

Thanks so much for the kind words about the little guy!

Just to let you know 'where we're at':

1) Bought a biosponge from local fish store & put it under the gravel

2) Added ceramic beads to Whisper filter (snug, but everything fits & still flows)

3) Bought HBH (?) Betta Bites - checked for fish & shrimp meal as 1st ingredients

4) Bought a ZooMed (?) buffet wheel of daphnia, bloodworms and something else- gave Fred 2 bloodworms & he did seem interested (Fred is 100% fine, but this was a pyrrhic purchase*- see below).

5) Did a water test - am in 'huh?' status about the results
(tho it's likely because he is little and it's a big tank for him ?)
ph- 7.6+ (no surprise)
high ph- arguable 7.8 to 8.2 (so call it 8.0)
Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite - NOTHING. (huh??)

And I'd been worried that Fred was marinating in ammonia! lol
Then again, I suspect the tank has 'not yet begun to .....cycle'- yes?

*Pyrrhic issue- came home to discover that I did not misplace the 'betta buffet' wheel o' goodies, but that my beagle, bagel X (basset x beagle x pointer), & terrier (Smooth Fox) had enjoyed decimating said buffet (crunched container, throughly cleaned out the (albeit high protein) contents, etc.).
Can't even find the neat little red spoon that was with it.
Sad in that Fred only got 2 bloodworms, and the 2.x oz. total contents would be a meager snack for such a mighty trio.
All seem ok as of this writing. ......for everyone! lol
Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #20 
Thunderloon

test

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ofcu View Post
5) Did a water test - am in 'huh?' status about the results
(tho it's likely because he is little and it's a big tank for him ?)
ph- 7.6+ (no surprise)
high ph- arguable 7.8 to 8.2 (so call it 8.0)
Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite - NOTHING. (huh??)

And I'd been worried that Fred was marinating in ammonia! lol
Then again, I suspect the tank has 'not yet begun to .....cycle'- yes?
Lets assume the ammonia is at 0.8ppm and the nitrite at 1.5ppm then, not lethal for a betta but present.

Do water changes of no more than 20% every two days until you get a reading on at least one test. If you don't get readings on any within a week take a large water sample (half a water bottle) to the fish store and have them run it. If they get a response bring your test kit to them and have them run it with your kit in front of you, it may be you're doing something wrong or it may be the kit is worthless.

Unless your tank is planted do not use more than a half inch of rock.

Are you using any zeolite?

Last edited by Thunderloon; 02-12-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: removed section on tibetian rock hurling
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote