Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #1 
ateamballer2005

2 betta fish down :(

Tank Size : 2 gallons with LED light and water stone with pump
Betta type: Crown tailed betta (from Petco)

1st Fish: Crown tailed Betta, 2 gallon 360 degree tank with air stone, 2 fake plants and gravel

I filled the tank with tap water and then treated it with the drops provided with the tank. The water treated for about 30 hours before i introduced the fish to its new home. I did the introduction process where the fish could get used to the temperature and then let it go. I dropped a few betta pellets in the water and then went off to bed. When i woke up, the fish was dead and at the bottom of the tank. Our apartment got down to about 68 degrees so I assumed that the temp got too low and that contributed to the death of the fish.

2nd fish: Crown tailed Betta, 2 gallon 360 degree tank with air stone, 2 fake plants, gravel, water heater made for 2 gallon tank, aquarium salt, and Spring water from wal-mart

I boiled water and cleaned the gravel and tank and the rest of the items in the tank. I then put everything back together and then added the Spring water. I submerged the water heater and waited for the light to turn green so that the water was optimum temp (78-80) degrees. I added a pinch of aquarium salt, and 2 drops of some water treatment. I put the fish in a bag with the original water it came in and let the bag sit in the tank for about 30 minutes before letting the fish go in the water (I made sure NOT to let any of the old water from the store to get into the tank water). I dropped a few betta pellets in the water, and let the fish go. The fish lasted through the night and all day, but when i got home this evening, it was floating in the water DEAD.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!
ateamballer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 
kelly528

Did you slowly mix the tank water with the water in the bag? Or just let the bag get up to tank temperature and let the fish go?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #3 
bamsuddenimpact

im glad this doesnt only happen to me. I had one last 1.5 days and one 4.5 days before my current bettas who are on 20 days and 15 days. My petco lady said sometimes its just luck of the draw with the fish you get. And I did have a heater and what is deemed "perfect" water when both died.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #4 
ateamballer2005

Kelly: The first fidh, I kind of just put him in the water, but the second fish I put him in a ziploc bag with the water he came in and let some of the water from the tank seep into the bag and waited a few minutes before letting him swim freely in the tank.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #5 
Sweeda88

They aren't in the SAME tank together, are they? You aren't supposed to keep Betta fish together, EVER.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #6 
ateamballer2005

No. These were 2 separate episodes. I bought the second fish because the first one died
Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #7 
Crazykat

To me it sounds like your first fish might have died because of the shock of going from one type of water to the other without acclimation.

Your second fish, though, I'm not sure. Did you take a little of the store water out of the bag the fish was in and add a little of the tank water every five or so minutes for 30 minutes with the second one? I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "let some of the water from the tank seep into the bag and waited a few minutes before letting him swim". If you just put a little of the tank water in the bag, waited five minutes and then released him, then my guess would be he died from pH shock as well. Either way, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you have better luck from now on.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #8 
Pekemom

I can relate to the loss of your first two fish. My first betta was so tiny and got sucked up in the filter intake. My second one died a few days after I bought him from unknown causes. My third, a little girl betta, is doing great and is now on three weeks (fingers crossed!). I've sinced covered the intake with a stocking - but everything else was the same with all fish. In general, I think bettas are pretty hardy. Slower water acclimation is all I can think of..
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #9 
gbose

AteamB,

I feel for you! I've had bad luck with bettas, too. All conditions seemed ideal -- and 2 died, one after another. I'll try again, but am cleanining and re-cycling tank first.....

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote