Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #21 
BettaHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good job....and you take awesome pic......what kind of camera are you using.....are you are professional photographer or something....those are some of the clearest fry pics I have seen.....great way to get a fry count too...laffs....about how many do you have...in one pic I counted at least 30....lol....How many spawns have you had.....

Since I spawn in really heavy planted soil based tanks full to the top with water....I start a feeding tap of sorts with my fry...I give "2 taps" on the rim not glass of the tank as I put the food in with an eyedropper to condition them to come when called...lol.....this helps get them all in one location for counting, observation and transfers.....

I made a homemade siphon out of airline hose and attached two chopstick to make it more ridged for my fry tank cleaning and other uses....my thumb is the control valve and this give me good control to clean tanks with tiny fry...still get a few fry...... I use a 1gal icecream bucket to siphon off in that I will use a flashlight under to check for fry before the water goes into my potted plants...lol......and with the hooks I have over my tanks I hang the icecream bucket from its handle over the tank and then attach my homemade siphon to the side so that I can re-fill by gravity with like temp water....take me 10-15 minute to clean and I can walk away when I re-fill so I can work on other tanks-love those little clamps-sure come in handy sometimes...lol.......pretty neat system that has worked for me over the years...laffs....

Its great fun and rewarding spawning and rearing your own fry isn't it.....you get to see their individual little personalities come out....lots of fun...lol....or at least I really enjoy it....but I am easily entertained....lol.....

that sounds like a great setup that i think i will implement with my tanks. i use the turkey baster method as well
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 AM   #22 
NIB BETTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good job....and you take awesome pic......what kind of camera are you using.....are you are professional photographer or something....those are some of the clearest fry pics I have seen.....great way to get a fry count too...laffs....about how many do you have...in one pic I counted at least 30....lol....How many spawns have you had.....
Thank you so much for the compliments, but I can't take any credit. Trust me, the camera does all the work. It's a Nikkon D5000, I used a macro lens which is why the close ups are clear. I don't really like to manipulate photos, so I only use photoshop elements to resize the pics. I take and delete a lot of pics. I have found that snapping pics an hour after they have eaten gives me the best pics. At least they stay still.

This is my first spawn. I think I have approx 70-80 fry. I counted up to 60 and then looked up and there were a bunch hiding at the top and in the plants. Based on tonight's count, I am going to buy another 33 gallon long, it is 48L x 12 3/4W x 13H, which should be plenty of room.

I really like your tapping method, I'm going to try it next time. I bought some extra airline tubing, hopefully I can remember what my father taught me about siphoning.

And you are right about their personalities. I have a few that I know are going to be brats. They pester my rabbit snail all day. But to be fair, I think they view his small yellow spots as food. Then I have some that don't like micro worms, they act like they would rather starve than to eat a worm. I guess that's what I get for starting them out on BBS. Spoiled brats!!!!
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #23 
1fish2fish

I love your spawning tank. Is that the bookshelf aquarium that petco has? It's perfect.

Off topic but what is your heater set to? I have two of those but they never heat to the temp they're set to. One was set to 76* and was heating at 72* and the other was set at 80* and was heating at 78*. Could be that my apartment is just too cold but for a heater that costs that much they should work right.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #24 
NIB BETTA

Yep, that's it. I got it for $10, it was a return which had everything except the box. I know this is my first spawn, but from my experience thus far, I highly recommend this tank. I thought I was going to need saran wrap, but the set up keeps it very humid.

I'm almost ashamed to say I have over 23 tanks. Ranging from 2.5 to 55 gallons. And five of the tanks are divided. My brother has a 500 gallon salt water tank. It is absolutely beautiful, so I guess it runs in the family.

I have found that the closer you place the the heater to your filter, you will get a more accurate temp. Mine is set at 80 degrees. Thus far, this temp has been dead on. I set it at 82 during the spawn and it never deviated, even without the sponge filter running. But I do have a few tanks that the heater runs one to two degrees off.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #25 
1fish2fish

I'll try moving mine closer to the filter. In one of the tanks it is right next to a filter (the tank is divided and there's a mini filter in each section, heater in the middle section) but it still doesn't heat to the exact temp.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

Over 23 tanks! Wow! Talk about MTS (multiple tank syndrome) lol.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #27 
PitGurl

How many gallons is your spawn tank? I saw that tank online and considered it for dividing.

Beautiful bettas by the way and I'm sure the fry will be the same. Looking forward to updated photos!
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #28 
NIB BETTA

Thank you. It is slightly over six gallons.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #29 
NIB BETTA

A little over four weeks old!

I moved them to a 20 gallon tank last weekend. They actually started fighting when they were in the smaller tank. They are growing really fast, but are not developing much color. I wasn't too concerned until I saw beat2020s fry. Hopefully I will see some more color next week.

I am feeding them decaps, microworms, frozen bbs and hatched bbs. It took them a few feedings to get used to the decaps. In a few weeks I plan on introducing tubi worms and daphina.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #30 
NIB BETTA

A few more....
Attached Images