Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 
peachesxo

Tank cleaning question

So I have a 10 gallon tank and do my 25% + water changes ect. with substrate vaccuming every other time, but do i / when do i need to clean out the whole thing? Or never because that will ruin the cycle? Or?

(Still a bit noob )
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #2 
kfish

Neeeevarrr!

If something drastic happens, maybe.

I'm a bit ADD with my tank layout, so once every... month or so (I think I may have finally hit a point where I won't do this as crazily - mostly because I've planted my plants in gravel) I take all the decorations and everything out and clean like crazy, while keeping like 30% of the water in the tank. I don't wash anything I take out, either. I just take it out to get it out of the way. Overcleaning bad. Me knows this.

I'm still going to take out what I can take out and do that once a month, though. It's good to vacuum underneath everything somewhat often, but that's about it.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #3 
peachesxo

okie dokie. =)
i also bought 3 filter cartridge replacements before i had all the wonderful knowledge of this site, lol. i guess im never going to use those either, eh? o.O
or can it be changed without messing up the cycle? just maybe not as often as suggested on the label. im sure after like 7-9 months a new filter is ok...

no?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #4 
kfish

Haha, I don't think so! We have TONS of filter cartridges at home, too... came with filters and such. We replace the cartridge if ever we have to tear down a tank and start over... but that's about it.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #5 
baylee767

I have to change mine because it comes with carbon. People reccomend just swishing in old tank water... doesn't exactly work for carbon from what I understand... So yeah depends on what media stuff is in them. I'm lucky enough to have a biowheel so I can safely remove the cartridges... I think so long as you have some other filter media you should be fine. That's my guess.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #6 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I have to change mine because it comes with carbon. People reccomend just swishing in old tank water... doesn't exactly work for carbon from what I understand... So yeah depends on what media stuff is in them. I'm lucky enough to have a biowheel so I can safely remove the cartridges... I think so long as you have some other filter media you should be fine. That's my guess.
My filter is carbon too and i also have a biowheel, so what's the procedure there

Is it that the wheel also houses alot of good bacteria so when you change the cartridge your usually totally okay cycle wise?

Last edited by peachesxo; 02-10-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #7 
kfish

I swish my carbon filter okay, but I can see how the Whisper cartridges would have problems... the carbon in those falls out so easily. I have some biomesh stuff that came in the filter, but since the water goes through the filter cartridge first, it seems like there's NOTHING growing on it, lol. A biowheel probably helps a lot ;)