Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #1 
Ghaladhriel

My fish jumped out of fishbowl, fell... what to expect now?

This eve spinosaurus (as my son has named him) jumped out of his bowl, luckily my son was able to grab him and put him back in the water, he was not responding until I prodded him carefully. He in turn fell to the bottom and after a bit of slow movement in my part (the water) he began to breathe again. He fell a good 5feet from his bowl and looks beat up... did lower the water to half a bowl and warmed it just a bit (currently 70-75) and it did him well because he swam to the surface and begun to blow bubbles (I assume it's normal) he's currently lying down on his side and on occasion moves a bit. also lowered the lights for him. doesn't look like he is struggling to breathe, but he does have us all on edge since we don't know just how bad the fall affected him :(

His bowl is about a half a gallon size, only glass stones (small) the water temp usually flows around 70 degrees F, I feed him once a week using the little food blocks (brought him home on early December and he has done well) I change his water once a week (twice if necessary) I have no plants or filters. He is a male Betta, looks pretty young (about 4" long) he has been healthy so far. all I want to know is if he will survive or if things are looking grim for him (I need to prepare my son) I will take him to the doctor if necessary.

thank you!
Ghaladhriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
peachesxo

i can't tell you about the fall but feeding him once a week is not enough/does not sound normal, i don't even know what these 'food blocks' are either that you've mentioned, but he should be fed betta pellets or something 1-2 times daily, 4-5 pellets a day, and you need to be doing 100% water changes in a tank that small at least every other day, and also using a water conditioner when you do it. leaving such a small tank without changes makes ammonia build up really fast which can make him sick then kill him.
70 degrees is too cold, betta temperature should be more around 78-81 degrees.

if you can upgrade him to a bigger, heated and filtered tank his overall health should improve alot.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #3 
Ghaladhriel

The food blocks are small and once in the water they are self release :) I have seen worms also and will give them a try soon. since he is relative new in our house, we will upgrade his home soon. we plan on getting more bettas, but because I am just learning I will wait for a bit :)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #4 
kfish

Definitely agreed with peaches!

Worms are great as a treat and a supplement (bettas love variety and that extra protein is really good for them), but pellets are a better staple food. A lot of people feed both.

Definitely increase your water changes to AT LEAST every other day 100%. Make sure to add water conditioner.

Most fish seem to be fine after a fall like that. They just need time to relax. Is he looking any better yet?
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #5 
Ghaladhriel

He is swimming to the surface every now and then. I have been warming his water slowly (as I mentioned it was currently 70f) and I think that has helped. what I don't know is if I should add anything else. I have read so far about stress drops and aquarium salt for injuries etc... I just want to make him comfortable (this includes keeping my son comfortable also, the less worried and stressed he is the better for the fish also)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #6 
kfish

I probably wouldn't add anything for now, especially if he's moving a bit more. Warming the water is a good idea, as long as the temperature doesn't fluctuate back down, then up, etc.

Best wishes! I think he'll be okay.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #7 
peachesxo

you need to make sure the temperature increase is done very very slowly or he can go into temp shock and die

and yeah make sure it doesnt fluctuate/go back down after that.
you need a constant temperature, so if there is no heater you shouldnt be doing anything.
(dont add hot/warm water to momentarily/shortly have it warmer, that will cause more harm than good)
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #8 
Ghaladhriel

Thank you, since the accident I have read up quite a bit in here and made sure I didn't warm the water too much (I knew sudden water temp changes would kill them even when healthy)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #9 
Ghaladhriel

How long should I keep him in dim/dark light?

Should he be swimming back to normal in a few days?

He currently looks beat up (the shiny color of his is gone, and now looks dull) how many days till he gains back his normal shade? so far no broken fins I think (how do I know he has a broken/torn fin or tail?)
Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #10 
kfish

If he still looks dull tomorrow, keep him in the dark. If he's starting to look better, have the light on for a bit.

Hopefully he should be back to normal in a few days! It really depends if there's internal damage. I doubt it, though. We get a lot of fish jumping out stories.

You'll know if he has a torn fin. He'll show off his war wounds!

Tags
breathing, fall, injured, jump