Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 
Sushibits25

Exclamation Halfmoon betta acting rather strange!

Hi there! About a month ago I got a beautiful halfmoon betta whom I call Yoshi. He lived in a ten gallon tank without a filter, heater, or light. The tank began to get cold and I decided to buy something better for him after I got paid for sure. I went to the store and bought a five gallon tank that includes a filter, light, and I also bought a heater that keeps the water heated from 75-78 degrees.

Yoshi is a very active little betta, he chases his own reflection and swims around the tank daily, exploring his surroundings. I put yoshi insie the tanka nd he was fine for about a week or so until yesterday and the day before yesterday, he began to act a bit strange. Yoshi is now very lethargic, sometimes he is at the bottom of the the tank, his fins stuck to he sides, his dorsal and 'bottom fins' a little retracted. Most of the time he is floating at the corners of the tank, so still that he looks dead sometimes. I changed his water completely, because I read that the water conditions could have affected him, but i still see no changes. He still eats, but rarely responds. He doesn't flare or swim around much, he doesn't even pay attention when I light tap the sides of the tank. What could be wrong? :O

*5 gallon aquarium with filter (that i don't turn on because it is too strong for the betta to handle), light and heater.
*I use Prime water conditioner at the proper amount.
* the tank tends to get a bit dirty in a while due to the black gravel i have.
*Yoshi still eats pellets.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3600171_n.jpg
Yoshi when he was healthy!

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1941212_n.jpg
Yoshi acting strange, possibly sick.
Sushibits25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Do you have a thermometer in your tank?
If you have one of those heathers that cannot be adjusted, your water might be too cold.
Everything else seems you're doing right... but he looks pale and the first thing you should check is the temp.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #3 
peachesxo

is that a bio wheel? i have one too.. it can be baffled quite easily.. i just hung a plastic plant i wasnt using anymore over it and it's perfect.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #4 
Sushibits25

Well it might be the heater. It IS one of those non-adjustable ones, the red light hasn't come in a while, which is supposed to tell me that it's heating. I will go back and return it for another for sure.

**UPDATE** Yoshi has stopped eating. It's like the pellet is too big for him to eat or something..I tried crushing the pellets for better size, but he doesn't pay attention to it, he now sits at the bottom of the tank.
Sushibits25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #5 
vilmarisv

Get him some frozen bloodworms while you're at the LPS... they go crazy for those and they are great if the pellets are too big.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote