Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #21 
Ariel1719

Very true. I have to see how he is later today and tomorrow. If there is no progress then i don't see him pulling through :(
I want to thank you for being with me through this whole ordeal!
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #22 
Aluyasha

No problem. That is what this forum is for, after all. :)

I have had to euthanize 3 of my Bettas so far. In fact, I had to euthanize Stahl about 5 days ago and Herndon yesterday. So I know it is a tough decision.
And remember, you have to be sure if you choose to do it. Yes you will always wonder what could have been had you not euthanized, but you do not want to be unsure while doing it. Because you will beat yourself up about it for a long time.
How I always help make the decision is just watching the Betta and asking him and yourself. Is it time?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #23 
Ariel1719

Thanks for the great tips. Im sorry about your two recent deaths. How would i go about Euthanizing if i decide it is best for him?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #24 
Aluyasha

Well there are many different methods. I use the frozen cup method. You fill a cup with water and put it in the freezer (without the fish in it). Wait for the sides and top to freeze over (not just a thin layer of ice, make sure it is a little thick). Break the top of the ice (I remove the floating ice pieces to make sure that the fish does not get suck on top of the ice) and drop the fish in. He should take one deep breath and then die from the shock of the cold water (it makes their heart just stop). Just in case, I leave the fish in there for a while. As I have heard some people take the fish out right after it stops moving and it comes back to life.

There is also another method, which I have not used. It involves clove oil and vodka. Or just overdosing with the clove oil. You would have to do some research on that one.

Last edited by Aluyasha; 02-15-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #25 
Ariel1719

Well today will be the day that i help him cross. He is still not eating and is just hiding in his cave or floating by the thermometer. Im going to see how he is after lunch, i have prepared the glass in the freezer. I feel so guilty but i feel like he is suffering and i don't want to see him dragged on for my own convenience.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #26 
Oldfishlady

This can be one of the hardest parts of pet ownership.......the day we have to make the selfless decision to end our pets suffering......know that you did all you could do and gave him a wonderful life.......it can be hard but its the right thing to do.......positive thoughts.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #27 
Aluyasha

You love him and that is why you are even thinking about euthanizing him. That is the ultimate act for a caring pet owner. We get our animals and right from the first time they come into our homes we make a promise to them to always care about their welfare and to help prevent their suffering. This is just a continuation on that promise.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #28 
Ariel1719

Well thank you guys, he went out peacefully on the 17th of February. Thank you both for everything<3
Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #29 
Aluyasha

At least it was peaceful and he lived a good long life. :)