Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? -Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?- once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - haven't yet

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - When we got him, he was in full display constantly. Now all of his fins are clamped in tight, and as a result can barely swim

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?- He went from being quite active the day we got him to very inactive
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - Hes been lethargic for the past 3 days, and the clamping of the fins peaked today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He looked fine when we bought him sunday.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Hes been with us 5 days, including today.

Basically, we got the betta on sunday. We got him out of the terrible petstore water, and into conditioned spring water. He was then transported to another city, car ride lasted about 3 hours. He was then moved to a temp tank late sunday night, with half tap, half spring water, with conditioner. The heater is one that unfortunately wont heat the water above 76, so hes been at about 74 degrees for the past few days. Hes become very lethargic, spending most of his time at the bottom of the tank. If he does decide to swim to the top, it takes a lot of effort, since his fins are clamped so tightly. I got him his new 2.5 gal and heater today, but it needs to cycle before I get him in there. Hes barely eaten, and isnt very responsive. He looks so miserable :( what can I do to fix this and help him out?
Rong4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rong4L View Post
What size is your tank?- .75 gallons
What temperature is your tank? -74
Does your tank have a filter? -no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? -Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?- once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - haven't yet

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - When we got him, he was in full display constantly. Now all of his fins are clamped in tight, and as a result can barely swim

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?- He went from being quite active the day we got him to very inactive
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - Hes been lethargic for the past 3 days, and the clamping of the fins peaked today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He looked fine when we bought him sunday.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Hes been with us 5 days, including today.

Basically, we got the betta on sunday. We got him out of the terrible petstore water, and into conditioned spring water. He was then transported to another city, car ride lasted about 3 hours. He was then moved to a temp tank late sunday night, with half tap, half spring water, with conditioner. The heater is one that unfortunately wont heat the water above 76, so hes been at about 74 degrees for the past few days. Hes become very lethargic, spending most of his time at the bottom of the tank. If he does decide to swim to the top, it takes a lot of effort, since his fins are clamped so tightly. I got him his new 2.5 gal and heater today, but it needs to cycle before I get him in there. Hes barely eaten, and isnt very responsive. He looks so miserable :( what can I do to fix this and help him out?
you need to be doing water changes more often that tank is too small and he is probably also in some shock from all the moving around.
do a 100% water change now with conditioned water of the same temperature and do 50% tomorrow and then 100% the next day and repeat that pattern.
the ammonia thats bulding up is probably making him sick and not want to eat and all the new-ness then changing environments all the sudden again is probably giving him alot of stress too.

keep offering him food though, its normal for new fish not to want to eat and with all the changes in environment its probably taking him longer to adjust, try to get a better heater maybe, and yeah, def do a water change noww!!
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #3 
Rong4L

I tested the ammonia and it was at .25 ppm, so its not too high. I do have a reducing agent though, should I add it to the new water?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #4 
Marona

And it's probably the hardness of the new water. Get a ph test kit to check how the water is that you're using. Also don't use bottled water, as your tap water has minerals that the fish needs.

Next time let him slowly adjust to the new water source. :) I'm sure he'll be fine once the stress from travel calms down. Are his gills sticking out more then seems normal? And when you can see behind the gill flaps, do they seem really red?
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #5 
peachesxo

It doesn't matter what your ammonia level says in a tank that is less than a gallon.... you need to be doing water changes at least every other day, 100%
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #6 
Rong4L

pH test says water is at 7.6. Gills arent sticking out, and when I can seem them, they dont appear red.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #7 
Marona

Sounds like a nervous betta to me, then. :D So that's good news. Put him in a darker/less traffic area and let him heal up. Keep trying to give him food.

Also the easiest way to keep that size of tank cleaner between water changes is to use a turkey baster. Gets all the nasty dropped food. Especially since he isn't eating it. Maybe try some frozen brine shrimp, or dehydrated blood worms. Perhaps you have a picky eater.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #8 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rong4L View Post
I tested the ammonia and it was at .25 ppm, so its not too high. I do have a reducing agent though, should I add it to the new water?
Ammonia at any level is bad. When you detect ammonia in your tank, do a water change, don't add any chemicals.

And like was said before, your tank is too small and you need to do 100% water changes at LEAST every other day.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 AM   #9 
Rong4L

Bad news..I mistakenly read the ammonia levels too early, and they were pretty high. Hes been in new water for a bit now, but I feel hes gotten worse. Hes breathing heavier, and he wont surface for air. Hes been laying on the bottom of the tank on his side. I lowered the water level down so he could get there easier, but he doesnt seem interested..is there any chance of survival?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #10 
Marona

50% water change every day, little extra dechlorinator. I had a similar betta issue and he pulled through.