Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #1 
baylee767

Post good bye planted tank

Let's be honest here. I've probably asked for help a dozen times over annoying plants. So I'll be removing all the anarchis and either 1 or two of my swords. So I'll have either 1 or 2 tropica swords and a java fern, and fake plants. This anarchis keeps on dying and littering the tank with little leaves, it is the only plant with this problem. And the tropica swords are growing too big, and only one is doing great. So should I? That would leave less worries, and if I were to add something that usually harms most plants, it wouldn't be a big pain. And it's less upkeep, and if I leave for an extended period of time my fish wont die of ammonia poisoning from dead plants due to the lights.

I'll still have a couple of plants as stated above, I might even get a marimo ball so I'll have 3 plants, but I want mainly fake plants. Plus there are some REAL nice ones around here that are silk. Plus some strange stuff hangg around the anarchis... dead leaves, snail shells, globs of stuffs, brown covered stuff, little white worms, etc. And I'm hoping this'll clean my tank.

So is it a good idea? Don't get me wrong, LP's look beautiful, it's just going a bit wacky...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #2 
Scrambles

do what you gotta do. I suggest sticking with silk plants cuz plastic plants tend to snag fins.
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #3 
Hadouken441

Trial and error is the only way around planted tanks. If you want to stop go for it but its a really good feeling once you get it down. I cant go back to fake plants or decorations but it did take me a long time to understand the planted area
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:30 AM   #4 
Scrambles

agreed, a planted tank is a happy tank!
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #5 
baylee767

Unfortunatly something just happened that is NOT helping with keeping a planted tank. I just scrubbed the tank. I'm annoyed to DEATH about what happened. I just barely added current because I was wiping the glass with one of those sponge on a stick like thingys for cleaning aquariums. That slight current uprooted one of my tropica swords AGAIN and pushed back a bundle of Anrchis. I have gravel and my tank got super cloudy from anarchis debris. That's right, little microscopic bits of gray and brown and green EVERYWHERE. I have a feeling planted tanks aren't supposed to get cloudy so easily... I threw out the dumb sword that got uprooted (It is constantly getting uprooted) And I think the anarchis is out tomorrow and then hopefully I'll have a clean tank again.

Last edited by baylee767; 02-09-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #6 
ilovebunnies

I feel your frustration, I really do :(

I just did a partial water change on my 2.5 gallon and it's a mess from the anarchis. I kinda bought the anarchis on a whim, remembering my friend used to have it in his tank and it was easy and beautiful. I dose with some fertilizer and excel, it's dieing :( I read on plantedtank.net that anarchis needs lower temperatures and does poorly when you dose with excel. No wonder it's dieing in my tank, the plant only thrives in goldfish tanks. That's why it was doing so wonderfully in my friends tank. *facepalm*

Hadouken441 is right, planted tanks are really about trial and error. I don't know about you, but I have read stuff about planted tanks for months online and in books and I'm still having a hard time. And I'm starting out with easy plants O_O. But I only have slow growing plants so that may also be a problem. I've read that you should have fast growing plants in the tank. It sucks too because there aren't good places around me to buy any plants. I can't even find any floating plants that were recommended to me :( and can't order online right now.

Whether you choose to continue with a planted tank or not is totally up to you. Silk plants can be beautiful too. I've been thinking of also doing diy CO2, I read that adding CO2 to a tank helps out immensely and I have the light for it.

Anyway, I really understand your frustration on keeping your underwater garden alive. Good luck with whatever you decide to do ;)

Last edited by ilovebunnies; 02-09-2011 at 02:57 AM.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 AM   #7 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
That slight current uprooted one of my tropica swords AGAIN and pushed back a bundle of Anarchis.
Maybe try to find something that my help to anchor the swords. That may help if they are becoming loose so easily.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #8 
baylee767

Hmm never thought of that. I might try and attach a plant weight onto a few roots on the remaining swords.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 AM   #9 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Hmm never thought of that. I might try and attach a plant weight onto a few roots on the remaining swords.
Oh, I forgot to mention, but make sure it doesn't have lead in it (like fishing weights) It's poison to the fishes

Good luck :)
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #10 
baylee767

They're from planted aquarium central. Don't worry, I've done my research. My lighting is just a bit too low (even though it's like 2.5 watts for gallon...) that or it isn't on long enough, or something else. Either way, I'm done with having a heavily planted tank. Sorry awesome plants /=

But hey, an excuse to redo my tank! Yes, I so hated it! I wish I could switch substrate to something that looks more natural, but then I'd have to recycle the tank and I'm leaving on a trip next month that'll last all month so he needs a cycled tank... so yaaa. I might completely redo his tank after my trip (=.