Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 
Kpoo97

Red face Male betta and 2 mystery snails?

A few weeks ago, I got Comet. At the time I didn't know bettas didn't need friends to go along with them.

A week after I got him I went to Petsmart and I got 2 Mystery snails. I got a Blue mystery snail named Merry and a yellow mystery snail named Rosie.

I have them all in a 1 gal tank. So far so good on nobody being injured (except for the fact that Comet has the Ick). So, is this ok to have them all in that small tank?
Kpoo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 
Cravenne

No, that's much too small for a betta and two Mystery snails. The Mystery snails can get quite large and generally need at LEAST 1G to themselves. They are quite messy creatures and they get fairly big!

Many people keep Bettas in 1G tanks, but it does require very regular and frequent water changes. I have a filtered 1G with a boy in it and I change 100% every other day.

You definitely need to get a larger tank and remove the snails..or return the snails until you can afford a larger tank.

In my opinion, even a 5G with one Betta and two snails in it is a bit overstocked (and would require frequent and religious maintenance), and that would definitely be the smallest I would go.

:)
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #3 
baylee767

Oh, also, Bettas don't need tank mates. In fact, many prefer to be alone. Mystery snails are SUUUPER messy, I sure hope you are doing daily 100% water changes. Because I housed the one I got in a 2.5 gallon for 3 days because my Betta kept on biting it and scraping his head on the shell, and the bottom literally turned brown. And that snail was the only creature in that tank.

Get him a 5-10 gallon at least, preferably a 10, with 2 so messy snails. Plus your fish will be happier without the stress of daily water changes.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #4 
Aluyasha

Mystery Snail is petstore code for 'we have no idea what kind it is'. Most Mystery Snails are Apple Snails. Apple Snails can grow as big as 6 inches and are one of the messiest to have. Most types tend to eat live plants and some kill other snails. Unlike most Snails, Apple Snails need a male and a female to breed. So if you have a male and female, expect tons of babies.
Also, expect to buy algae pellets for them to eat (the algae pellets alone are very messy), as they cannot survive on tank algae alone. They also enjoy lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, and most other veggies (remember to remove the veggies at the end of the day so they do not rot and mess with water quality).

I have a Golden Apple Snail and he is messier than my mom's four Common Goldfish.

Last edited by Aluyasha; 02-14-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #5 
kholder

I love my "mystery" snail - who is really an apple snail. He doesn't eat plants, and I haven't seen a mess. He is a diligent worker on my algae - although unable to keep up with it all - and is wonderful addition to my 10 gal.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #6 
turtle10

Snails just POOP so so much.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post

oh muh gawd I know!

haha

I got a snail the other day from petsmart..he was an impulse buy really..I reallly wanted a nerite not an apple snail, but whatever. I cannot believe the mess! I had to go get a little bulb syringe just for daily cleanup!
I couldn't image having two in my 5 gallon, not to mention a 1 gallon!

I would do 100% water changes daily until you can find something bigger to keep them in.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #8 
turtle10

Haha I always see them gliding on the glass with little poop trails.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #9 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
They sure do! Found out first hand!!

Purchased Hornwort at my local petsmart last week, only 2 bucks on sale and the guy gave me a nice size one. Rinsed it several times with old tank water in a container. Obviously didn't catch everything as I soon noticed few of them snails that we get from petstore plants, forget name but they about half the size of my pinky nail climbing on the front glass yesterday so I caught two of them and placed it in the little betta container petsmart/petco uses. This morning I grabbed the container to toss it and just these two little snails resulted in poop all along the bottom, was a gravel of poop (was clean when they were thrown in). I would say close to 50+ of individual little poop strands from just a single nght of these two tiny snails
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #10 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
They sure do! Found out first hand!!

Purchased Hornwort at my local petsmart last week, only 2 bucks on sale and the guy gave me a nice size one. Rinsed it several times with old tank water in a container. Obviously didn't catch everything as I soon noticed few of them snails that we get from petstore plants, forget name but they about half the size of my pinky nail climbing on the front glass yesterday so I caught two of them and placed it in the little betta container petsmart/petco uses. This morning I grabbed the container to toss it and just these two little snails resulted in poop all along the bottom, was a gravel of poop (was clean when they were thrown in). I would say close to 50+ of individual little poop strands from just a single nght of these two tiny snails
WOW.. must have been a crazy night for them I guess lol. Haha I knew they pooped but geez, so much poop that it was like gravel is crazy! I guess it is hard to tell how much exactly when you have gravel/sand. I always see them just minding their own business then out comes like 20 poopies from their shell lol!