Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #1 
WashingtonCowgirl

Disfigured gill?

A little back story:
I browse craigslist on a daily basis. I saw a listing for a betta :) He was listed as a HMPK, but he hasn't unclamped his fins yet so I'm not sure if he is a HMPK or just a PK. They had him in a large mason jar and he had been in there since Christmas, with zero water changes and they were feeding him goldfish food. I am SO surprised that he is still alive!
(He looks like the one pictured below, with the light blue on his sides, but is a cellophane, not white.)

I noticed last night that one of his gills is constantly open. Not sure what that means... I put some salt in his tank, all water parameters are good. He eats then begs for more but doesn't zoom around the tank like he was doing yesterday. He just chills by the heater (the water is a good 79-81, so I don't think its the heat) Not bloated. He is eating homemade food (raw shrimp, spinach and garlic) and I would like to feed him a few fry once I think he would chase it. I have a dark towel around his tank so he won't get stressed as much. His color and fins have improved since I brought him home though, so thats a good sign :)

Any ideas on the gill issue?
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #2 
Aluyasha

Melvin has that same gill issue. I have heard it is pretty common among poorly bred Bettas.
It does not seem to bother Melvin much. I would imagne to just keep his water clean and he should be fine.
Sorry I am not much help. Good luck!
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes when a fish is kept in poor conditions for long periods and suffer ammonia burns they can also develop scar tissue as a result of the ammonia burn-this build up of scar tissue in the gill area can sometimes cause the gill plate to stick out-sometimes it can impede breathing and sometimes not...it can also be the result of injury, foreign body or breeding...

Not a lot you can do about it except provide quality water and good nutrition......like you are doing now.....you could even try a Epsom salt treatment and see if it is swelling related from an injury.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #4 
WashingtonCowgirl

Alright I will try the salt as well :) Glad to hear that it probably isn't life threatening :p
WashingtonCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote