Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets and freeze dried blood worms on occasion
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 3 pellets in the morning, 2 before bed. On cleaning day he gets 2 in the morning, and blood worms after cleaning, no dinner.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% to 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner with Indian almond leaf

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins have holes and are shredded. Part of one fin is dangling off and is starting to turn from purple to white
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has stopped building bubble nests, but still behaves the same
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I removed all "iffy" plants, and left him with one I know won't tear his fins. He is also being treated with aquarium salt and daily water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing about a year, maybe a little more.

The water has been really cloudy green since the last normal water change. I've changed the water since (80%) and the water only seems more cloudy, and now my Betta's tail is torn to shreds and has hole in it. It doesn't look like fin rot. I can't get any pictures.

My other fish is in a 2.5 gallon tank, would it be better to switch the two until Biscotti's tail heals?
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

There is something going on with betta tanks this time of year. The water in my 2 gallon is cloudy 2 days after a 100% water change. That is ridiculous! The walls are slimy, and the water itself almost seems slimy and cloudy. It's so wierd! I did another 100% water change earlier and it looks fine now... It sounds like what you are doing is pretty great. Aquarium salt and partials sounds great... I really don't know what to do about the water though! Same thing with me and my friend, I have no idea how to fix it. Sorry!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #3 
Lordsameth

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, it isn't the cloudy water that is the problem, it is the fact that his fins are more and more shredded every day!
Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

Yeah, I know. Sorry! Just wanted to vent a little. My HM's fins are pretty much gone. What is left is badly shredded. The advice given to me was use aquarium salt and clean the tank daily, and start him on better betta food, like pellets and freeze dried bloodworms mixed. Seeing as you are already doing this, I think you are doing a great job. :)
Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #5 
Lordsameth

Hmmmm.... It doesn't look like tail biting either, so I wonder how he is shredding them...
Old 02-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #6 
Bettaluver4evr

HUH, that sounds really wierd. Do you think maybe your filter? I know the filter tore up Butterfly's fins... :/
Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #7 
Lordsameth

How would it do that, may I ask? The intake is covered by plants...
Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

I covered my intake up with a cave-like thing, and I swear my betta couldn't get caught... lo and behold, his fins were shredded. I don't know what to reccomend, because the tanks stay so much cleaner with filters, but if it is a possiblity, then I'd take the filter out for a little while and see if his fins get worse... hopefully they don't! I wish my HM could have a filter, it makes things a lil better for me and the water quality, but alas, he loves to play right where he can get sucked up. :( If you don't mind, hows Macchiato? I havn't seen pics of him in ages! :P
Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #9 
Lordsameth

Macchiato is doing really well, and the clamped fin is clearing up nicely. He had an appetite bigger than Biscotti's, lol.

I was thinking of switching them up, seeing how they do in each others tanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #10 
Bettaluver4evr

You can try that, sure! :) I just got a 2.5 gallon tank a few hours ago, and I already love it... 2.5 gallon MiniBow. :P I'm glad Macchiato is doing well. What interesting betta names! :)