Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #11 
Rong4L

Is there anything we can be doing right now? Or is leaving him alone best at the moment?
Rong4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #12 
Marona

I don't believe so, but there are much more experienced users like OldFishLady who should be on tommorow at some point. But with a similar situation I was told to do daily 50% changes with extra dechlorinator. Like I said before, try to give him a more peaceful place to rest, too.

Also have you seen the leaf hammocks? You could make your own, but that's what I used on my fish that did the same thing and he rested on it so he could get to the air easily. So that might make whatevers got him down easier to deal with.

If the water changes are really difficult fo ryou toget to, maybe you should do a fish in cycle with your 2.5 gal?
Marona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #13 
Rong4L

Okay... we're kind of doing that right now, by having him rest on the net as we hold it near the surface of the water. We also have a black t-shirt over the tank so he's not as stressed.

I got the 2.5 gallon tank literally just a couple of hours ago, but I thought it was supposed to run for at least 24 hours before putting any fish in it?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #14 
Marona

Hmm. Well it's easier in my opinion to control the levels in the small tanks so you're probably safest there. I wouldn't hold him in the net, unless he doesn't seem to mind it as it probably stresses him out.

If he doesn't mind that, the leaf is probably the best for you guys, that way you don't have to hold the net up and he gets to choose when he wants to be up there.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #15 
Rong4L

He's not reacting to it, or anything, really. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the leaf, and it's 2 am here and everything is closed.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #16 
Marona

Of course, I mean tommorow haha. as long as it's not bacteria he'll most likely be fine over night. :)
Old 02-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #17 
Rong4L

I figured out how to place him on a leaf on his plant..its right near the surface of the water, so hopefully thatll help him. Hes scaring all of us to death..as we super gently moved him from the net to the plant, he was floating on his back, and then his sides..We're hoping so hard he makes it :(
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 AM   #18 
Marona

Hmmm...That actually sounds like swim bladder problems. If he's doing that. Does he seem bloated at all?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 AM   #19 
Marona

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bett...dder_betta.php
Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #20 
Rong4L

He doesnt look bloated, nor has he been eating anything, but maybe. He ended up at the bottom again, and hes on his side, a little belly up. His back end is sort of floating up a little, so hes slanted head down.