Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Unhappy Insane fish

Ok so I have had my betta for like 1 and a half months now and she seems okay but she always has stress lines. I don't know what I am doing wrong! I do think part of her personality is that she is sensitive, but I doubt that Is the whole reason. Anyways, here is my real question. Every time I walk in the room and turn the light on, she just loses it and goes INSANE. Like she winds up then swims at the glass and acts all jumpy like there is some kind of food right outside the glass that she wants to eat. Is it possible for fish to have mental conditions? Because it sure looks like it. Anyways, thanks in advance.
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #2 
Tomsk

Is she seeing her reflection in the glass and thinking its another Betta on her turf?

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #3 
cjayBetta

My male betta CoCo gets all freaky like that when I walk it too... I was told this was because he is excited to see me because I am his food giver :P
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
Biomess

Which light do you turn on when you walk in? If the room is dark, you need to turn on room light before turning on her tank light, otherwise you are startling her out of sleep and pretty much blinding her which would cause that behavior.
Or, if she is in a bowl that doesn't have a light, make sure she has a cave or hidey-hole and a plant or two to hide in.
See if that doesn't get her to stop flipping out.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #5 
chelsmarie23

When I leave Ignacio, I either leave a light, lava lamp, or tv on, or open the blinds. I know he loves light because when I first got him, all he would do was stare at the light and when I'd turn it off he would swim around looking like he was searching for it.

I would leave on some light source. :)
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Not all stripes mean stress....color changes and stripes are also forms of communication, camo and some are age related.....just because she has stripes doesn't mean she is stressed or you are doing anything wrong...especially when she is otherwise acting and eating normally....

I agree-sudden bright lights can sometimes make a fish go nuts-they don't have eye lids after all....lol.....slowly turn the lights on-first the room light and 10-20min later turn the tank light on-also dark hiding places in the tank or floating plants can help....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #7 
BlackberryBetta

Oh ok, great! Thank you. I posted a pic of her a few days ago and people said that they where stress lines. Can you tell me what you think? I have pics on my page. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

The stripes will look the same be it from stress or communication, camo, age...etc.....however, stress is a forum of communication......the best way to know if the stripes are stress related are other behaviors related to stress....like hiding, poor appetite, overly shy, skittishness...etc......a fish that has stripes and feed and otherwise acts normally...may not be stressed...per se'.....make sense.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #9 
BlackberryBetta

Ya, she is perfectly healthy. Thank you. I think those stripes are just her colouring because they go through her eyes and up to her mouth.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #10 
FishyFishy321

I really don't see that often
FishyFishy321 is offline   Reply With Quote