Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2011, 08:16 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

Lake plants, can I use them?

So, I went on a rant the other day in which I was discussing how I have spent more money on aquarium plants than my outside food garden plants (close to giving up on live plants, i'm just too poor to keep buying them right now.).
The only difference being that the aquarium plants I can't seem to keep alive and healthy looking.(mostly because my local fish store only carries high demanding plants and anacharis) My mom then replies, silly girl...why are you spending money on plants when we live in FLORIDA. and there's a river and a lake right down the street!
Got me thinking, would it be safe to use plants from the lake and river? Obviously I would set them up in a separate tank first, and maybe add a few drops of an anti parasite med for aquarium, but would this be safe? Has anyone ever done this?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #2 
kholder

I've often wondered the same thing. Looking forward to an answer.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #3 
kfish

Definitely wondering as well... I've spent like $100 on live plants. Thankfully, mine stay alive... and I'm just addicted to plants.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

First check your local laws on collecting native plants......

I collect native plants yearly and have not had any problems except maybe bring in a evil nymp or two....lol......never any parasites or disease, however, you do need to QT native plants and slowly bring them in the house-they have to be acclimated to the lower lights in the house

I use a white bucket for QT-this is so I can see any critters that may be on the plants easier-I place my white bucket in partial sun and move it to more shaded area every couple of days-I rinse the plants daily and rub the leaves to check for any eggs sacs and manually remove them...I QT and acclimate to lower light over at least 2 weeks and when I place them in a tank I monitor closely and try to keep adult fish in it first so if I missed any nymps usually dragonfly and damselfly larva they will usually eat them...these guys can wipe out fry or small fish...they can even kill and eat adult guppies when they are full grown...creepy monsters is what I call them...laffs.....

As long as you QT and clean them and acclimate them to the un-natural light in the house....most native local plants will be fine....you still have risk....but you have risk with store bought plants too.......

Just be sure and check your local laws first before you collect anything and remember once you collect and it is in your tank-it also has to be deposed of properly too...both plants and livestock...once it has come in contact with tropical fish and their water-they can harbor tropical disease and parasites that the native habitat has NO immunity to and can destroy our ecosystem.....

Happy collecting.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #5 
kfish

You're awesome, OFL!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #6 
jessiepbg

Thanks for the info! I've got a lake nearby and never even thought about it as a source of free plants. There's some really pretty stuff growing in there too.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
First check your local laws on collecting native plants......

I collect native plants yearly and have not had any problems except maybe bring in a evil nymp or two....lol......never any parasites or disease, however, you do need to QT native plants and slowly bring them in the house-they have to be acclimated to the lower lights in the house

I use a white bucket for QT-this is so I can see any critters that may be on the plants easier-I place my white bucket in partial sun and move it to more shaded area every couple of days-I rinse the plants daily and rub the leaves to check for any eggs sacs and manually remove them...I QT and acclimate to lower light over at least 2 weeks and when I place them in a tank I monitor closely and try to keep adult fish in it first so if I missed any nymps usually dragonfly and damselfly larva they will usually eat them...these guys can wipe out fry or small fish...they can even kill and eat adult guppies when they are full grown...creepy monsters is what I call them...laffs.....

As long as you QT and clean them and acclimate them to the un-natural light in the house....most native local plants will be fine....you still have risk....but you have risk with store bought plants too.......

Just be sure and check your local laws first before you collect anything and remember once you collect and it is in your tank-it also has to be deposed of properly too...both plants and livestock...once it has come in contact with tropical fish and their water-they can harbor tropical disease and parasites that the native habitat has NO immunity to and can destroy our ecosystem.....

Happy collecting.....
Thanks so much!

great info. !
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote