Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #11 
Lion Mom

You're more than welcome & CONGRATS on the new guy!!!

Pics? We NEED pictures - LOL!!!!

And - FWIW - they don't only carry Deltas/Super Deltas. They also raise Crown Tails & others. :)

Last edited by Lion Mom; 02-14-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #12 
gardengirl13

OK my husband surprised me yesterday with another new fish (I wanted a total of three) so we had to move some things around a bit and have the two new guys on a bookshelf near the older fish.

We named the green/blue one form saturday Oliver, as in twist, since is the biggest begger! The guy from yesterday we're tentatively calling Valentine. The older guy is Bad-ass, since day one he thinks he is one! He's called Fiddy more often though.

Here is a photo of the set-up

Here is Fiddy

Oliver

and Valentine

Now I do have questions about Valentine. I saw a beautiful blue boy and was going to get him instead since he was super friendly, but I loved the colors of Valentine even though he was a bit skittish. Well getting him home he just paces the back of the tank. This morning he's eating fine and isn't scared of us. We can go right up to him and he'll just stare out at us, not begging yet, but when we walk away he goes back to pacing. I've never seen a betta do this. I know they're all different. But it stresses me a bit. We plan on going to petsmart (not where we got him) to get him a little cave of some sort and a better heater (we have one of those little preset in the tank ones that keeps it only 5-10 above room temp, but they were out of the 25 watt ones and no other store carries that size,) is there anything else we can do to get him to stop this, or is this just how he'll be? We've had 5 other bettas over the last 16 years and none ever did this, so I'm not sure if it's just something I'll have to live with. I'm almost wishing I had just gotten the mellow friendly blue one. I'm sure I'll be happy with him once he settles though.

edit to add: I forgot to add that when we got home we noticed his top fins are down and kind of beat up looking. Will salt help that? I was planning on picking some up just to have on hand if needed.

Last edited by gardengirl13; 02-15-2011 at 10:23 AM.
gardengirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #13 
ansalong

Such beautiful fishies, and great pictures! So clear, and they bring out their colors.

What do you mean by he paces? Does it look frantic, or like he is itching himself? Or does he just swim back and forth quickly?

My first betta was very mellow, and my new one is extremely feisty. He does the same thing Valentine does when I approach the tank, and he also just hangs out and swims around, but I often find him swimming around quickly or "darting" back and forth, and he looks like he is barking at me lol. He is very active and often fighting his reflection.

Does this sound like your guy? If so, it is probably just his personality. At first I felt like you and wanted someone a little mellower, but it grows on you and can be very cute. He also swims right up to anything that goes in his tank, and he often nips me when I am doing something in his tank or feeding him. Just a little fighter.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #14 
gardengirl13

He's not frantic and not flashing or itching, he is just very determined in his swimming back and forth. He's not at all scared of us. When I put my hands up to try to put on a background to see if that would calm him a bit he'd go right up to my hand. In the bag on the way home he huddled in my hand the whole time, this is why I'm trying very hard to get him a cave very soon. He doesn't hide in his plants, but I think he'd benefit from a cave type thing.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #15 
ansalong

Yeah it just sounds like how he will be. He sounds very cute!
If you can, maybe try for something with holes on both sides so he can hide in it or swim through it. My guy doesn't care about his cave at all but likes to swim through things.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #16 
gardengirl13

I ordered a second bali type thing that fiddy has, you can kind of see it in his photo. It has a hole in the top part that he sleeps in (when he's not on his hammock) and the bottom is open on two sides, he loves swimming through there. I'm assuming Valentine (I keep wanting to call him Valentino) will like it just as much.

I also am having trouble finding lights for the tank that I like and or are cheap and nice. So I'm getting new tanks. I saw someone here reviewing the hex one from petco. I hope they like them! The lights I'm looking at cost the same as the tanks, so the cost isn't much difference. Plus they're a little smaller in foot print so they'll fit in the living room better I think. These pretty boys really need light to show their colors better! He also says he doesn't need a heater due to the underwater filter. We'll see how that works in our house. In winter it's about 65-68 in the house and with the temporary heaters we have in two of the tanks it only keeps them to about 75-76, so I hope the filter does create a bit of heat. But will it over heat in summer?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #17 
LolaQuigs

Your fish are beautiful, and your setups look great!

If his fins are a little torn and there are no signs of fin rot, I wouldn't bother with salt; just keep the water conditions good with regular water changes. If they do get worse or start to get dark on the edges I would do a salt treatment. 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon of water, with daily water changes for 7-10 days. Just make sure you don't go over 10 because prolonged exposure to salt can weaken their immunity, but it's a great natural remedy for parasites and fin damage when used correctly. But again, if it's just a little bit of damage I wouldn't worry about as long as you're on top of water changes.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #18 
gardengirl13

May wait on the tank. I think I want to see it in person first.

Lola thanks for the tip. I think I'll wait on the salt. They just look a little rough. Maybe everything will be fine once he settles in better. Nothing is dark or anything. On the one part there is a kind of stringy bit, with a nobby end to it. Not sure if it was older damage that's healing or if it's just how his fins are. He looks healthy otherwise.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #19 
ansalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl13 View Post
I ordered a second bali type thing that fiddy has, you can kind of see it in his photo. It has a hole in the top part that he sleeps in (when he's not on his hammock) and the bottom is open on two sides, he loves swimming through there. I'm assuming Valentine (I keep wanting to call him Valentino) will like it just as much.

I also am having trouble finding lights for the tank that I like and or are cheap and nice. So I'm getting new tanks. I saw someone here reviewing the hex one from petco. I hope they like them! The lights I'm looking at cost the same as the tanks, so the cost isn't much difference. Plus they're a little smaller in foot print so they'll fit in the living room better I think. These pretty boys really need light to show their colors better! He also says he doesn't need a heater due to the underwater filter. We'll see how that works in our house. In winter it's about 65-68 in the house and with the temporary heaters we have in two of the tanks it only keeps them to about 75-76, so I hope the filter does create a bit of heat. But will it over heat in summer?
I love that bali thing!

It depends on the heater you get. 65-68 is too cold, and 76 is on the low end of what they like. You can get an adjustable heater with a thermostat and it will monitor the water temp. It won't overheat, the heater will just turn off when the water reaches whatever temp you set it to. You can also get a small under gravel heater that will just maintain 5* or so above room temp, but in the summer that might overheat the water.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #20 
Lion Mom

BEAUTIFUL fish and BEAUTIFUL set-up - what a NICE husband you have!!!! :)

I REALLY like the 2 gal. hex from Petco, FWIW, and my Dragon seems to also!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote