Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #21 
Bettaluver4evr

WOW, you got your first betta 6 months ago Aluyasha? WOWZA! I'm very sorry that you have lost so many in such a short space of time, but now you have quite a few healthy and happy bettas, right? :) Hehe, I think I was 6 when I got my first betta, and before now I'd only ever have 1 at a time, and my mom cleaned the tank for me. In the past year I've had 5 bettas. The first 2 bettas died of Ich. I've had Liberty for 7.5 months, and I got Dumbo 10/21/10. Those buys were planned. Then I stumbled across Butterfly, and I couldn't let him go! Hehe. So that is how I ended up with 3. If I came across a really rare treat at Petco I'd have trouble letting it go, but I'd also have trouble convincing my parents so I have a balance. ;P
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #22 
Aluyasha

Well, I have actually owned Bettas before. But I never was truely interested in them until I got Abacus (the clump starter) 6 months ago.
What can I say, I have an obsessive personality. :)

Plum D, Trout, Finger, Darcia, and Stahl were the Bettas that died during this period.

Before being interested in Bettas. I had 7 ferrets.
And I have always had large numbers of cats (I am at my lowest number now with 3 of them).

Last edited by Aluyasha; 02-14-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #23 
Sweeda88

I've had 2 die since I got Sequin in October. Aurora and an unnamed blue VT female from Petco. I miss Aurora. The blue girl died the first night I had her.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #24 
Aluyasha

Darcia was doomed from the start, having many diseases at once when I bought him. He lived about 4 days.
Stahl I had for around 3 months, he had always been a sickly Betta. I think his old age along with a mystery illness is what got him.
Trout got dropsy after a month of having her. I had to euthanize her.
Finger I gave to my mom. Together we owned him for about 5 months. He was old when I got him and he died of old age.
And Plum D suddenly got ich for seemingly no reason. He was almost white so I did not notice the ich spots until it was too late. I had him about 2 months.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #25 
Bettaluver4evr

Aw! That is sad. Well, I only really got interested last January. I got a "HM" which was really just a Delta at Petco. He lived in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter, and I didn't even notice that his fins were clamped because I barely knew anything about bettas! But he got Ich and died after 3 months. I didn't even know it was Ich until looking back. I just thought he, ya know, died? So I just rinsed everything and let the filter run for a few days and then bought 3 guppies. Because I didn't put in new gravel or use soap (still didn't know it was ich or even what ich was!) the guppies were all dead within 3 weeks. I bought a little VT I named Rainbow or Bo 05/26/10. He lasted a little longer because I tried giving him Bettafix for a while, but he still got Ich and died 07/06/10. Well, a few days before I cleaned out my mom's fridge and in return she said she'd buy me another betta. So, we went to Petco and I picked out Liberty. I still have him! He isn't nearly as magnificent looking as when I got him, but he is still very pretty. Phew, okay, that's my story!
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #26 
Aluyasha

Owning pets is a learning process. You never know everything from the start. Even if you read a lot of infomation about Bettas, you still will make mistakes because some things you have to experince.
Glad to hear of your success with your current Bettas! I hope they all stay healthy and happy. :)
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #27 
Sweeda88

I had a few Bettas throughout high school that I kept in those decorative "rose bowls". I feel so bad looking back on it. The aren't really any bigger than the cups they come in. You would THINK I would have known a living creature would be miserable in such a small container, but I had no clue. Poor fishies!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #28 
Aluyasha

There is alot of things I regret looking back on how I took care of my past Bettas before I knew how to properly keep them.
At least we take good care of our fish now!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #29 
Sweeda88

Yes. Now I'm obsessed with keeping all of my fish happy. I never knew hos much a fish could consume your thoughts!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #30 
coolcucumber

I wouldnt get just one neon :) they are schooling fish, and require atleast 3-4 to be happy
coolcucumber is offline   Reply With Quote