Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #41 
Aluyasha

Plus, Cories grow to be like 3 inches or so. So he will not stay that size.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #42 
Bettaluver4evr

Eek, really? Oh no! Aw! I don't want the poor guy to die or get hurt. Crap, I always make bad decisions! :(
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #43 
Sweeda88

Hey, it's not your fault! You didn't know any better. I'd suggest bringing him back. Maybe check Petco for ghost shrimp instead?
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #44 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh man, I still feel awful! :( I seriously could cry, I don't want any harm to befall any animal, but when it's my fault!... Well, I'll try bringing him back thursday, that is the nearest that I could bring him back. If I bring him back and she's still there, there was a white marble VT female with blue streaks in her fins that I literally fell in love with but left behind. If she or her twin sister are still there, I will get her instead. Man, ugh, I feel awful about Benny! :(
Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #45 
Aluyasha

That cory should be fine until you return it, do not worry. We have all done that before. I bought a silver tipped shark once for my 15 gallon and came home to find that those fish grow to be over 2 feet long and need brackish water. I returned him and got some platies, all was well. :)

Just to be sure, if you buy that female you are not putting it with the male are you?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #46 
Bettaluver4evr

Oh my! I don't think a 2 foot anything should be in a fish tank! :P That would terrify me, it'd be like a little shark! I don't really like sharks. I think they are amazing, but scary.
And no way would I put a female betta with a male! I know apparantly know nothing about cute little catfish, but I know lots about bettas. I would keep her in a 1/2 gallon starter tank until I could get her something bigger... but I have all of the supplies she would need, and it would be loads better than the cup, right?
Ah, poor Benny! Well, he is exploring right now, and sniffling with his whiskers for some fallen food. I hope he found some! Butterfly is following him around and copying him now. He's only nipped him once more. Poor guy has to be returned now. :(

Last edited by Bettaluver4evr; 02-15-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #47 
turtle10

Just make sure you never buy an animal without researching it first, no matter what the pet store people tell you.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #48 
Bettaluver4evr

I won't now! I just thought Benny was cute, and if you follow the 1" of fish per gallon rule he should have been fine in that size tank with room for my betta... sigh... oh well. There isn't any way I could keep him? Butterfly seems to like him... :'(
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #49 
turtle10

Absolutely not. Cories do best in groups of at least 5. Your tank is only suitable for one fish. Plus cories like sand, your gravel looks rough. The peppered cories get at least two inches, so actually following the one inch per gallon you would need at least a 15 gallon (3 in for betta and 12.5 in for the cories).
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #50 
Bettaluver4evr

Alright, I'll see if I can take him back thursday. :'(
And it's not my fault, the lady seemed really nice and she promised that the betta might be a little mean at first, but then he would adjust and the catfish would just be a peaceful buddy for him that cleans a little. Plus, there are loads of sites that say cory's can be kept in groups of 1 or 2... I'm just a nieve teen apparantly, but I can't get a 15 gallon for just a couple fish. D:

Last edited by Bettaluver4evr; 02-15-2011 at 09:27 PM.