Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #1 
ateamballer2005

2 bettas down PLEASE HELP!

Tank Size : 2 gallons with LED light and water stone with pump
Betta type: Crown tailed betta (from Petco)

1st Fish: Crown tailed Betta, 2 gallon 360 degree tank with air stone, 2 fake plants and gravel

I filled the tank with tap water and then treated it with the drops provided with the tank. The water treated for about 30 hours before i introduced the fish to its new home. I did the introduction process where the fish could get used to the temperature and then let it go. I dropped a few betta pellets in the water and then went off to bed. When i woke up, the fish was dead and at the bottom of the tank. Our apartment got down to about 68 degrees so I assumed that the temp got too low and that contributed to the death of the fish.

2nd fish: Crown tailed Betta, 2 gallon 360 degree tank with air stone, 2 fake plants, gravel, water heater made for 2 gallon tank, aquarium salt, and Spring water from wal-mart

I boiled water and cleaned the gravel and tank and the rest of the items in the tank. I then put everything back together and then added the Spring water. I submerged the water heater and waited for the light to turn green so that the water was optimum temp (78-80) degrees. I added a pinch of aquarium salt, and 2 drops of some water treatment. I put the fish in a bag with the original water it came in and let the bag sit in the tank for about 30 minutes before letting the fish go in the water (I made sure NOT to let any of the old water from the store to get into the tank water). I dropped a few betta pellets in the water, and let the fish go. The fish lasted through the night and all day, but when i got home this evening, it was floating in the water DEAD.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!
ateamballer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #2 
Luimeril

it's possible that they were stick to start with. it doesn't seem to me like you're doing ANYTHING wrong. you seem to be doing everything right. is there another pet store you can get bettas from? how'd you clean the gravel and tank, after the first fish passed?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having so much trouble.....

When you acclimate the fish you need to acclimate to more than just the temp....you also need to acclimate to the water itself-by adding some of the source water to the fish in the pet shop water-slowly over about 30 minutes...then net the fish and place in the tank.

It is best if you use your tap water with a good dechlorinator like Prime or API that covers chlorine, chloramine and heavy metal

Rinse everything in the tank and the tank really good under warm running water.....fill with tap water and proper amount of dechlorinator-get the water to temp-add this tank water to the new Betta and pet shop water over 30min-net and add to tank

Be sure and monitor the water temp in the tank with a thermometer to maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #4 
ateamballer2005

Luimeril: I was wondering the same thing, maybe they just had a "bad batch". But continuously spending 7-10 dollars on a fish is getting really old. After the first fish died, I BOILED water and rinsed the tank out and then BOILED more water and soaked the gravel and plants before setting up the tank for the 2nd time.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #5 
ateamballer2005

Oldfishlady: Thank you for your input! For the second fish, I did use a bag and try to let some of the tank water seep into the bag after the heater LED light was green (80 + - 2 degrees) I may have done in within about 15-20 minutes vs 30 minutes but i will wait longer next time. I did the Spring water because it doesnt have any chlorine or hazardous metals or chemicals, but i still put a few treatment drops in there to be safe.

The wal mart in the town I am at has betta fish, so i may try them out vs petco. They are in a blue liquid though in the container they come in. I guess maybe I should be extra careful not to let any of that water in the tank water?
Old 02-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #6 
Luimeril

the blue water won't hurt. it's just a medicane they use(i got to see bettas in it for the first time ever today. lol). i do hope you find a fish who makes it. :< it must be frustrating to lose them. ;A;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #7 
vilmarisv

Sorry about the fish... if you got them at Petco they will refund or replace.
As OFL said, make sure you use a thermometer and add a little of the new water to the old until the fish is swimming in mostly new water.
No need to use spring water, treated tap water is best.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote