Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #11 
Littlebittyfish

Oh, I know! I want a snail real bad! I think they're cute.
I wan't to get a nerite, either zebra or batik. I haven't been able to find any around here I have checked at least 5 places so far.They keep trying to sell me a mystery snail instead. I dont want to buy a mystery snail and then finally find a nerite, then I will have a snail overload!
I might just end up getting a mystery snail though. Or maybe getting brave enough to order a nerite online.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #12 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
for now, I just tossed in a few of the rocks to see what they will do and look like after a week.

So far so good!

(I don't plan on keeping the anubias in pots, but for now I didn't have much to attach them to.)
My anubias never took to white sand, even the bio-prepared sand.

I often turned my sand over in the 2 gal using a stainless tea stirring spoon turned into a hoe, the dirty bits mostly wafted off into the tank and any disturbed sand would settle in the bottom of the red sea mini filters.

One of my must-have tools is a 3 dollar poly siphon hand pump from ace hardware. I use it to blow-churn my rocks in planted tanks and if you take Mr Angry out of the tank you can churn a lot of bottom then use the squeeze bulb to carefully sweep just the bad stuff through the filter before you change to a new one.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 AM   #13 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
so pretty! Now you should get some sort of creature that eats algae (Shrimp, nerite snails, etc) So algae doesn't form on the sand. Trust me, in a salt water tank it is imposible to kill the algae on the sand, when we stir it up a bunch it'll just keep on going and not get killed.

But other than that, beautiful tank!! I love white sand beds, they are just awesome! and the best combo ever with live plants!
Good point about the algae, if you keep the plants in pots you can take them out to occasionally treat the tank with algaefix etc.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #14 
Slayers

Little I like that sand where did you get it from?
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #15 
Littlebittyfish

I got the sand at Petco.
http://www.petco.com/product/111911/...t=OnSiteSearch
Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #16 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

That's the same sand I put in my 20H tank, only I went with the sunset gold.

Keeping it clean is super easy. The crud lies on top of the sand... hover the vaccumm wand over the crud, and it gets sucked up. No need to churn up the sand. If a little sand gets pulled up, it falls back to the bed from the wand, while the lighter crud goes on its way...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #17 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
for now, I just tossed in a few of the rocks to see what they will do and look like after a week.

So far so good!

(I don't plan on keeping the anubias in pots, but for now I didn't have much to attach them to.)
Wow looks sweet. Have never tried sand in any of tanks. Am tempted to do the sand thing on my boys 5 gallon.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #18 
Littlebittyfish

I'm really happy I decided to switch to sand. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it. The sand its easy to clean, probably easier than gravel because any debris sits at the top of the sand, so in between water changes I have a bulb syringe type thing I use to get up anything laying around.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #19 
scootshoot

Based off this thread got myself sand for both the 5 and 14. The 14 gallon already had gravel so took an idea from another site and created / moved the gravel to the outer edges (basically dug a pit) and dumped the newly acquired sand there.

I have 3 cats and the biggest issue I had with gravel (stones in my avatar) was sinking pellets would lodge themselves inbetween the little crevices and pieces of food would go uneaten. The cats would try hard to get inbetween the crevices but they were unable to reach it. The sand is working a lot better for the bottom dwellers, food is getting completely consumed and is recommended for those who drop food source that sinks....
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #20 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

scootshoot,

"I have 3 cats and the biggest issue I had with gravel (stones in my avatar) was sinking pellets would lodge themselves inbetween the little crevices and pieces of food would go uneaten. The cats would try hard to get inbetween the crevices but they were unable to reach it. The sand is working a lot better for the bottom dwellers, food is getting completely consumed and is recommended for those who drop food source that sinks.... "

I had the same problem with the same gravel type... all that crud and uneaten food becomes a toxic mess! Now that I have gone to sand in my 20H and just a few pretty stones (not a complete gravel bottom) in my 5 gallon, everyone is healthy and happy.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote