Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #1 
foxwood4376

Possible popeye or something else?

My crowntail betta is NQR today. Three weeks ago his old tank developed a leak. I moved him to a new 2.5 gallon home. Because of the leak, I had to move him quickly. I used water from his old tank, plus some of the plants & gravel. The filter in the new tank is the same one from the old one. I had no choice but to do it this way, without allowing things to cycle, because the old tank's leak was getting worse. He's seemed fine until today. His eyes seem swollen, and a bit cloudy. His body isn't bloated, no pinecone scales. Swimming all over tank, but is laying on the bottom a bit more than usual. I can pick up epsom salts to treat him tonight, but am wondering if there is anything else I should look out for?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 .5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta pellets, dried bloodworms occasionally
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 time/day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? slightly bulging eyes, eyes seem a bit cloudy
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? swimming a bit more erratically than usual, but still aggressive and flaring at movement near his tank (normal for this fish for the past year); eating and pooping normally
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? did 50% water change immediately, have more water out to reach proper temps to change later
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none
How old is your fish (approximately)? about a year and a half
foxwood4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 AM   #2 
Aluyasha

Sounds like popeye. If it is, popeye is caused by poor water condition. Try doing more water changes. I know regular water changes should be at least twice a week for a 2.5 gallon tank, even with a filter.
For a while, try doing 50% water changes everyother day.
And you said that you were going to give him a epsom bath? That should help out.
Sorry if I am not much help. I hope your fish gets better.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta is not well....

I agree, it sounds like it could stem from water quality issue-2.5gal filtered needs at least twice weekly 50% water changes.

I would start a 10 day Epsom salt treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice a day during treatment

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf or blackwater extract or decaf green tea-let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 
foxwood4376

I tried putting him in a small "fry" tank attached to the side, but he freaked and was battering himself against the sides until he just lay on the bottom. He's more distressed now than he was before. Decided to do a tank water change, added salt as directed, and released him back into the tank. I'm just going to try to treat him with water changes/salt in the 2.5 gallon for as long as he hangs on. He's resting on the bottom, kind of sideways at times. Still swimming up to the surface occasionally, but seems weaker than yesterday. Today his eyes look more normal. Could I be fighting something else?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would lower your water level in the 2.5gal to about 2 inch-this will make it easier for him to get to the surface to get a breath and do the Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal along with 100% water changes daily with the Epsom salt water-cover the top with veggie wrap and dim the lights....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #6 
foxwood4376

Thanks. This morning he's swimming around the tank more, though slowly, and was lively enough to be mad about not being fed when I turned the light on to check on him. His breathing seems slower and less labored today than it was last night. I did add an airstone to the tank last night, figuring it can't hurt. I'm going to keep doing water changes (with epsom salts) and hope for the best.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #7 
Aluyasha

Just make sure the airstone is not making a strong current.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #8 
foxwood4376

Any current from the airstone doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. He's mostly hanging out near the top of the tank now instead of laying on the bottom.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #9 
Aluyasha

Just making sure. :)
I hope he improves.