Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #1 
Luimeril

Angry why, walmart? why?

months ago, my walmart had bettas, after not having fish for 10 years. i kept a close eye on them, made sure the cups stayed clean, and eventually got them to stop carrying them. i went today, to go shopping(late x-mas gift from the folks), and was horrified to see they had MORE cups. there were so many cups, many were shoved in the back, away from view. i immediately did a check-over, and saw many nasty cups, filled with..... i don't even know! looks like moldy black dirt! i was saddened to see one, beautiful marble CT, dead and upside down at the bottom of his cup. he was stunning, white and purply-blue body with deep red fins. one boy barely had a tail, from fin rot. many were lethargic. i would have gotten one boy, a brilliant blue and VERY active, if i hadn't found the dead one. i toted his cup all the way up customer service, waited in line for five minutes, and handed him to the lady, saying "he's dead" and telling her about the nasty cups. i do hope something happens, because they were rather pretty(though.... not alot of variety. most were colored like my Cup, only without his random marble gene). i may still go back, and get the boy missing most of his tail. he won't last long there, at all, i know that much. if i can go back to walmart, i'm taking a camera, and writing a note to tell them how nasty the cups were, and that i'll complain every day until they're acceptable. i do NOT take nicely to nasty betta cups. :/ got a guy fired at my local pet store for that stuff. >.>; i'm gonna keep an eye on the bettas, and WILL complain EVERY DAY if i have to.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #2 
NightxFury

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

I bought two betta from Wal*Mart yesterday because their conditions were so ABYSMAL. There's a Petco across the street that at least SEEMS to keep them in better condition, but the two I purchased were so adorable. I couldn't stand the thought of leaving them there to just die. There were all kinds of nasty particles and old food floating in the water. It's terrible. I'm hoping to get these two back up to par with some TLC.
NightxFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #3 
Luimeril

i hadn't planned on getting any of them, but the more i think about that boy with nearly no tail, the more i gotta. of course, i'm sending a VERY nasty e-mail afterwards. :/ maybe i can talk mom into it either tonight, or tomorrow. i DO want a new HMPK, though, so maybe i can say it's my niece's betta. >3>
Old 02-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #4 
NightxFury

I really hate to support Wal*Mart getting them by buying them, y'know? But I hate to punish the fish by leaving them there to die. They really should have someone specifically to take care of the fish there. : /
Old 02-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #5 
Luimeril

they shouldn't order them, if they don't have anyone to take care of them! they're not some stock you can leave on the shelves, they're living, breathing, FEELING creatures! i hate to support them by buying them, too, but i'm not gonna leave a suffering creature there to die. i'll just send a nasty e-mail after. :/
Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 
NightxFury

I certainly wouldn't mind that job. Just going in to take care of the betta fish every day? Sounds ideal.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #7 
briser

The pet's unlimited where I live is just as bad as walmart!!
When I went yesterday to pick some decorations for my tank they had one on display in a sample tank that was FILTHY you could barely see in the tank because all the walls were green and he was a gorgeous red VT who had almost NO TAIL because of fin rot... it was all disintegrated and shriveled up!!
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #8 
Luimeril

sounds like what i do daily. xD

the more i think about it, the more i want that nearly tailess boy....he literally, just had a stub of fin, and a long strip up top. that was his tail. kinda like...

-----------
--
--

that was it. ^
Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #9 
NightxFury

That poor fiiish. D: The one I'm taking care of right now has some serious fin rot that I'm trying to tend to, he doesn't seem to want to eat or anything.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #10 
Luimeril

fin rot, is something i'm used to dealing with. fin issues are my specialty (thank you millions, Cup, Dante, and Archfiend. >.>;). it's the possibilities of their being MORE than just really bad fin rot. i totally don't need it getting onto his body, ya know?