Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #1 
Tirepole

I want to move my Betta into my room, but have some questions?

Hello. Well I've had my betta Spike, for a while now, I believe I got him about 5-6 months ago. You see, when I first got him I had to move him into an old room not being used for anything, and I had to keep the door closed in that room as my cat Tiger, is very interested in messing with him, and will paw-smack (whatever you call it) the tank, and scare the fish. Well, I feel like I would be able to appreciate my fish more if I moved him into my room with me, as I feel like I would be able to see him/admire him more, as he's currently in a little tiny storage room and cannot be seen without going into his room and visiting him. So my idea was to move him into my room. Here's where I have some problems, though. See, Tiger, my cat. He loves bugging Spike, so I was thinking of getting a dresser big enough to set his tank with very little room on edges, so the cat could not bother him. Is this a good idea? Also, I like having my TV up loud usually when I watch TV or play games, (I usually have on surround sound with volume up to 28-32) and I've heard fish have sensitive ears, I mean they have external ears meaning they don't hear but kind of "sense" the vibrations, right? Well would I still be able to move him in, as loud as I keep the volume? I don't want to hurt his hearing. Any help on that? Thanks!

Details, if it matters: He has a 5 gallon tank, with heater, filter, etc. All he needs. I got him from a Pet store, which I have heard wasn't a good idea, but it's too late. I'm no expert but I'd guess he's older than one.
Tirepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

I would move your Betta to your room so you can enjoy him and he can interact with you and the cat...he will get used to the cat and the loud noise of the TV.......they usually adapt to just about anything.....my Bettas try to bite my cats tongue as they drink from the tank...lol....and my tanks are by the door that gets slammed on a regular basis.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #3 
Pekemom

Definitely move your fish into your room. You'll enjoy and appreciate him more - and he probably will be more active with you around to pay attention to him. It will be a quality of life improvement for both of you!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #4 
Tirepole

Bump.
Tirepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #5 
briser

I have a curious cat too, and I just don't let her in my room anymore. I keep my door shut at all times, unless I'm in the room to keep an eye on her.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #6 
Abby

LOL this is a cute problem i have with my cat, he sees them hes INTERESTED but he knows its a no no. LOL Old fish lady! you all might like this snap i took the other day, mind you Simba (our cat) thinks each fish is his when i bring them home lol
(excuse the mess of cords all this will be hidden within a few weeks when bf gets around to making the stand into a cupboard LOL)

Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 
Nepale

That's really cute Old Lady but I am still too scared to let my cat drinking from my fishy's water . Although she tried to scratch her way into the tank even though she knows it's a NO NO. Fluffy on the other had is not scared and wants to fight.
Currently I keep him in a shelf and he's surrounded by pictures and stuff. But...my cat put her nose inside the lid hole a couple times. Trying to taste her meal hehe ...
Nepale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #8 
tanker

You could try to train your cat. Sharp "no" when he's doing something you don't want, reward when he's doing something you like. "No" when he's eyeballing your fish, a nice liver treat when he turns away and does something else.

[mum mode] Having your tv up loud isn't good for your ears, either. You should turn it down. [\mum mode]
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #9 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker View Post
[mum mode] Having your tv up loud isn't good for your ears, either. You should turn it down. [\mum mode]
Lol this is a good point, except if your like me and live with a boyfriend who rather likes his Souround sound -still laughing-
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #10 
BlueHaven

Hah, my cat isn't really that interested in my fish, just jealous.
She gets annoyed at me if she is in the same room and i'm paying attention to them. And then if I show her the fish, she turns away like "Whatever, I'm not going to look at them." Sometimes she will look at them though.
It's kinda funny. But don't worry, she gets attention too. :)

I think it's a good idea to move him to your room, if you have something he can hide in, that can help if he gets spooked.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta fish cat sound