Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #1 
Lordsameth

Green cloudy water

Biscotti is living in a 5 gallon filtered tank. 2 weeks ago the water turned green and cloudy. I've changed the water 1000 bajillion times, but it seems cloudier and cloudier the more I change it. I can't even see the other side of the tank anymore, and now Biscotti has begun tail biting. What can cause this, and how can I get rid of it?

It looks like there is algae INSIDE the filter, what can I do to prevent this? I've cleaned it a dozen times, and it just gets in there again...
Lordsameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #2 
Pekemom

Could it be that you're having an issue similar to mine with the tank re-cycling? Let's see what the experts say...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #3 
Lordsameth

Why would the tank re-cycle I wonder...?
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #4 
Cravenne

GREEN water is an algae bloom. Could be caused by too many nutrients(from overfeeding or ferts), too much external sunlight hitting the tank, too long a photo period..

Generally it goes away on it's own. Watch your feeding, keep up with water changes, redirect any sunlight hitting the tank and wait it out.
Some people do a blackout on a tank..meaning they cover it completely for a few days and the algae dies off. I experienced this in one of my large planted tanks when it was newly set up. I closed the blinds a bit in that room and the problem went away.

As far as the algae in your filter, you can rinse the media in your old tank water. Seems like you have to take a look at your set up and figure out the cause of the algae issues if the problem doesn't correct itself..
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #5 
Lordsameth

.... The room he is in doesn't have a window, and food isn't an issue because he eats it right away.... I've rinsed the filter media a few times, no good.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #6 
Pekemom

I feel your pain, Lordsameth! My tank was clear as a bell until last Wednesday when, after a 1 gal water change (5 gal tank) the fog started to roll in and hasn't stopped! The Petsmart guy (who seemed to know what he was talking about) said my tank was re-cycling and to wait a week without a water change. But frankly, I can't stand it. I tried a few clarifying drops this afternoon, but it didn't help at all. Tomorrow I'm doing another 1gal water change, and I'm thinking of adding additional carbon to my small filter. Grrr....
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #7 
Lordsameth

Not changing the water may help.... or may not.

Macchiato doesn't have the nasty green, so *shrugs*
Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #8 
Bettaluver4evr

That sure is strange! Haha, I like the *shrug*. I'm glad Macchiato is doing well, but I'm sorry Biscotti is biting his tail and his tank is being a pain in the booty. If you have cleaned it a gazzillion times and it only gets worse, I say leave alone for a while and see what happens. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice! Good luck.
Bettaluver4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #9 
Lordsameth

well, today Biscotti's water is so bad you can't see through the tank. It's horrifying! I can't figure out what to do about it, as it always comes back. It is definitely algae...Biscotti is eating little particles of it, lol.

Ever since the water turned green his tail has been getting shorter... I'm really worried now. I don't know if I should move him or not... I don't really have another place to put him, aside from a plastic coffee can...
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
ChicagoPete

Try Tetra Algea Control or leaving the light off on the tank I know others say they don't recomend chemicles but a year ago when I had my 30 gal community tank I had the same green murkey water problem and that stuff reely helped clear it.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote