Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #1 
PewPewPew

Bob's tropical plants.. :(

Wragh! I bought plants from Bob's Tropical Plants and recieved my order the other day. I ordered two anacharis, a java fern and a netrite snail, as well as a small bit of drift wood (and a heat pack for the snail).

The other day, I got an email saying he refunded me a dollar...hm. He claimed he couldnt ship the wood "safely" What? Oh well. He bumped up the heat pack to a 72 with the price difference.

I was soooo excited to get my stuff!! :DDD

...I got it all in a nasty bag, smushed together, with my snail in an even smaller bag inside. Eww. But oh well, yaaayyy! I thought.

No.

:(

I put these plants into my critter keeper by themselves and spotted a number of unwanted critters on them! (All too small to photograph) There were very very small creatures (dark colored) that looked like spiders, and others that looked like tiny ticks! Ew! There are also super small snails, a few of them. Im nervous about them; I dont want them to infest my tank!! DX
I also recieved an extra snail.. Possibly a nice gesture, but I ordered ONE for a reason! Agh! He's black and similar to my olive netrite, and will be living with Dan in his ten gal :c
I washed them off in warm water repeatedly and put them in my 1.5 (which is QTing the two remaining tetras and snails...) and STILL had a nasty creature! It was like a slug, clearish white and like a cm or two long. :( Ergh.

My java fern was a wreck. Like, demolished. Eaten away almost completley! WTH?!

Im nervous that somethings may have spread into my big tank with Alle. The whole seeing that sluggy thing after washing them is freaking me out! :( I did a 75% water change and spiohned the gravel like mad.
What should I do about that? Should I do a 100% change and clean the substrate, etc? It'd hurt my cycle :c

Also, anyone know his return/complaint policy? Im gonna send an email with pictures, but dont know what to expect :ccccc

I just wanted Alle to be happy, but wahhhh! :'c Pics to be posted soon.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Oh! And a lot of the anacharis I got was light and dark brown, which I presume to be dead or dying. Is this correct?
I mean, I paid a dollar each for what I thought I was only getting a single sprig of, but still!
It has green sprigs, too, but not very many in comparison.Should I get rid of the brown?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #3 
shinybetta

Uggg I wouldn't worry about having two nerite snails, they only reproduce in brackish to full saltwater. The slug thing is probably a planaria. It is fine, and the fish enjoy eating them.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Thats good. I havent seen any yet, but Im really not happy that what I bought came with so much GUNK. Like, ew! Seriously!! D:
Im hoping the other little (black) snail is a nerite :P
Old 02-13-2011, 04:12 AM   #5 
kfish

YUCK! I was tempted to switch to a different vendor for price, but nevermind... I'm sticking with Planted Aquariums Central.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #6 
Hadouken441

Bobstropical Plants is amazing. i've orderred many times there and the owner is extremlly nice.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
YUCK! I was tempted to switch to a different vendor for price, but nevermind... I'm sticking with Planted Aquariums Central.
YUP - I will ONLY purchase plants from Heather!!! She may not be the cheapest around, but she sure is the best, IMO!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #8 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
YUP - I will ONLY purchase plants from Heather!!! She may not be the cheapest around, but she sure is the best, IMO!
I got six free baby golden mystery snails off of some of her plants, but that's been my only critter experience! At least they're snails you'd normally pay for, and they don't breed like crazy and it's easy enough to just remove their eggs if they do breed. But we have enough tanks to distribute them around and I'm so okay with algae control in my tank! XD

Her plants are always in great shape and she loves to throw in extra bunches of stem plants. :)
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

I wanted to get them from there, but it was a bit too much D: Im finding more and more snails on things, ergh! NOT COOL! DX
Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #10 
Luimeril

i heard dunking the plants in ice water will get rid of unwanted critters. >.> dunno if that's true, or not, though.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote